Is possible recover Windows from Found.000 folder?

Closed
R3w6 - Mar 9, 2022 at 06:54 PM
ronwis0122 Posts 1 Registration date Friday March 11, 2022 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2022 - Mar 11, 2022 at 07:44 AM
After it finished run "chkdsk" like "SMART" info recomend, (since it didn't boot) I went in with a linux distribution to check the disk, I see that all the folders and files (including Windows) were now "chk" under the same "found.000" folder.

Here is my question and problem. I know there are programs to recover data or change the format and return those "chk" to how they should be....
but is there any way I can recover the OS? or I shouldn't had run "chkdsk" and it is already unrecoverable? Since the files are the least important to me.
Related:

2 responses

Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 34
Mar 10, 2022 at 04:06 AM
Changing the CHK extension is the simplest way to recover files from the Found.000 folder. For example, if your lost pictures are JPEG files, create a copy of the .chk file and rename the .chk files to .jpg files, or convert .chk files to .mp4 for videos.

And, you can follow the steps below to modify the file extensions in bulk:

Step 1. Create a text document on your computer.

Step 2. Double-click to open, type ren *.chk *.jpg, and save.

Step 3. Change the .txt suffix to .bat.

Step 4. Copy the .bat file to Found.000 folder. Double-click it to run. Then, the .chk files will be converted to .jpg files.

UnCHK is a free and simple tool to recover the CHK files from the Found.000 folder. This tool can detect .chk files and convert them to the appropriate extensions, such as .chk to .jpg/jpeg. Then, you can open and view the files. If the original files are severely damaged, they can't be recovered with UnCHK.
ronwis0122 Posts 1 Registration date Friday March 11, 2022 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2022
Mar 11, 2022 at 07:44 AM
I want to know something related: How can I recover the data from my surface pro 3. Actually, it was working alright and out of a sudden, it stopped and never turned on again. So, how can I recover my data?