Toshiba wont boot

Closed
cookie2cute - Aug 31, 2009 at 04:41 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Sep 1, 2009 at 07:54 AM
Hello, My son has a toshiba laptop about 4 years old..He bought it from a friend and therefore has none of the software that came with it originally. Last night while he was doing his fantasy football thing it just out of the blue turned itself off and when we tried to restart we got a message that says something like windows can not start because of a corrupt file in windows/config blah blah ..Then it recommended that we put in the original windows cd which we don not have. Is there any way of maybe downloading a copy of the system restore on my computer and then trying it on his. If not..any other ideas? Thank you
Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 31, 2009 at 05:25 PM
ok, not as big a problem as you may think. this is easily remedied.

what you need is a utilities disk, which can be downloaded from here
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

in the dropdown box will be listed hirens boot cd v9.9
just click on the download button.

when it has downloaded it will be in a .zip file. using winrar or winzip unpack to a destination where you will remember. it will unpack some files.
2 directories,
2.txt files
1 .iso file
copy the .iso file to the keyboard patch directory.

double click on the patch.bat file.

this will run a little file and ask you which keyboard country you wish to use.
input the letter.
it will go through some tweeking of the .iso file and, when done it will produce a .iso file with the name
'XX patched hiren's.bootcd.9.9.iso'
this will be be your country keyboard specific hirens boot cd .iso.
now, burn this file to a cd as an .iso image using your favorite software nero is mine.

take this cd to your poorly computer boot it with this cd. it will boot into menu.

select 'start mini windows xp.
this will boot into a windows xp environment.
from there you can open a dos box and run chkdsk /r on your c: drive (your computers main drive)
this will scan your hdd for errors and attempt to fix.
let it do its thing, may take a while depending on size of hdd.
once done reboot pc. just before pc reboots when screen turns black eject cd.

this should hopefully have sorted the issue with the windows/config file problem.
doing it this way he should not have lost any of his files.
Thankyou so much...Gonna try that right now and will let you know
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 1, 2009 at 07:54 AM
please do, it gives me feed back on my instructional skills as well. thanks