Toshiba Satellite laptop shuts down by itself

[Closed]
-
 cloudsnuts -
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L40/L45 Series laptop which turns off by itself after a few seconds after turning it on. It doesn't even get past the Windows loading screen and my OS is Windows Vista 32-bit. I tried to see if it solved the problem to let it run just on battery, but no luck, same problem. Then I tried to see if it worked on AC power without the batter this time, but it made no difference... and this laptop is only 8-9 months old. Also, I don't think it could have been a virus nor is my setting in the power options set to turn off after a certain time because I disable all these features as soon as I get a laptop. So, if possible can anyone help me with this?
Related:

10 replies

i boot on safe mod , then I notice that my laptop not turn off or restarting by self just when I boot normal windows it happen restarting by self , and the fun work good and the laptop not hot .. pls can u help and tnx
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2821 users have said thank you to us this month

I have same problem..In safemode is everything ok. Also when I using only battery.. Problem exist only with AC adapter and in normal mode..
i also have this problem but in bios setup settings (f2) I change the computer speed and power option from dynamic to alway low
and it work in always low but in dynamic mode it turns off after some seconds or some minutes
It definitely needs a cleaning. I'll bet you $30 that you can go to Best Buy, they'll clean it for $30 in about an hour and it won't do that any more.
Registration date
Tuesday November 17, 2009
Status
Last seen
December 9, 2009

Hi,

Not sure what model laptop it is but I fixed a friend of mines Toshiba and it was very simple. It was an overheating error to do with the heatsink being clogged up and very dusty inside. I dismantled it to reveal the inside components, gave it a thorough hoover and also used compressed gas to remove any dust and dirt that was blocking it up. Give it a go. Might save the hassle of posting it etc
The laptop shuts itself off without going to shutdown mode.

And about the temperature security feature... I let the laptop sit without it being on for over a ay then tried to tun it on and it still turned off in like 6-10 seconds.
Hi guys, I found the same problem. When I turn it on, the green n orange LED blinks and within few secs the lappy shuts down. I found the issue is because the RAM(usually its has 1GB+1GB) is fixed improperly. I removed and fixed the same properly and laptop is working fine now.

Its a proven solution in my scenario.
my laptop has the same problem. ill try your fix and wish me luck
Yes, I did buy this laptop brand new from Best Buy.
And it was about 1 yr old before I started seeing this kinda problem occurring.
The model number is Toshiba Satellite L40/L45 Series. Not sure about the serial number or anything b/c I don't have the laptop with me ATM.
Registration date
Thursday May 14, 2009
Status
Last seen
November 24, 2010
hello, try to boot on safe mode and perform to see what happen
Already tried that and it still turns off after that. And when I first started to experience this problem occurring I noticed the more I tried to turn on the laptop after it shutdown it would only turn off more faster.
Registration date
Thursday May 14, 2009
Status
Last seen
November 24, 2010
Does it make normal shutdown? or does it simply switches off?

if it shutdown normally 2 things can do this,
1. a virus
2. a security alarm

the most common one is the temperature security alarm, the cpu is probably overhearting, sry I dont really know much bout this model, but perhaps the inner fan or air vents need to be clean :)
Registration date
Monday September 7, 2009
Status
Last seen
September 8, 2009
I do not believe that this is either of the two listed above issues.

Can you tell me more about the laptop

was it bought new?
How old is it?
Model number and serial number?
Well, After trying all the suggestion given online. I returned the laptop to the service centre they changed the Mother board and now I can connect the laptop to the power supply and still surf.