Retrieve data from old hard drive

Closed
Dee - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Noodlepoodle Posts 14 Registration date Sunday September 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2010 - Sep 17, 2009 at 04:05 PM
Hello,
My old hard drive crashed and deleted all of my pics and files on it, I bought a new one and installed it. Now I have the old one in a box looking at me everyday! How do i retrieve the pics and files from the one I took out? I am not very computer smart, so please help me out. I keep hearing it is easy to do, but have no idea on how to do it!
Please Help Me!
Related:

2 responses

Noodlepoodle Posts 14 Registration date Sunday September 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2010 4
Sep 17, 2009 at 04:05 PM
The easiest way is to put your hard drive in an external case and then plug it into your existing computer to get the files off it. See this webpage on What is an external drive?

Also see this How to recover files from a crashed hard drive It will show you where you can find some of your files. I am gathering that the old hard drive had Windows XP on it.
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM
hi there,

just plug the hard drive in the cpu

by moving the jumper to slave or computer select

boot your system and open my computer

you will find the drive

open and browse it

and remove all your data

Thanks
okay, what is cpu? what is slave? I have no idea what you are talking about. do i have to insert it back in the computer?.. will this give me back the virus that made it crash?...also, after it crashed i couldn't open any screen?
sorry to sound so stupid.....