Assistance in learning how to get two ip addr

Closed
Melly4030 - Jul 25, 2008 at 09:09 PM
 jannie - Jan 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Hi

Just recently got a netgear router from a friend came with 3 cable cords. Have connected it all through to the cable modem etc. It has been explained to me for two computers to run on the internet at the same time. one computer needs to be set up as the host and the other computer run of that. I haven't got a installation guide for the router I know everything is correct. Went through changed internet settings to make sure never dial a connection was up etc. And we've worked it that it is the ip address which is a problem. Got an IP address from our service provider - for the one computer and they advised me that the router should give a seperate IP address.

Can anyone help with this. Cause nothing is coming up.

Thanks

3 responses

magicmarkie Posts 6 Registration date Monday July 14, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2008 2
Jul 27, 2008 at 01:08 AM
Melly,

If you are using cable, just install the router to the cable modem. Be sure DHCP is enabled in the router.
You do not need to configure one PC as a Host & the other running thru it. That is for Peer to Peer networking.
Just plug both PC's directly to the router. That router should have either 8 or 4 inputs. Plug each PC into its' own port on the router.

With DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) configured on the router, the router should assign each PC its' own UNIQUE IP Address.

You can check each PC's UNIQUE IP Address by going to START | RUN, type CMD & click OK.
At the prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL (there is a space between the "G" & the "/".

This will list the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, ETC.

The important thing is the IP Address... They should have four sets of numbers
Example XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

The numbers are probably going to be 192.XXX.X.XX
The first three groups should all be the same. The last digits (most likely two digits) should all be different.
If you had four PC's on the router, the UNIQUE IP Addresses would probably have the fourth set of digits numbered sequentially. ( 32, 33, 34, 35, etc...)

If the router is not using DHCP, the IP Addresses can be set manually. Go to START | CONTROL PANEL | NETWORK CONNECTIONS

Right click on your ACTIVE Network Connection (most likely called Local Area Connection), Click "Properties".

Double-click INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP).

Put a BULLET in "Use the following IP Address" & fill in the IP Addresses, using the FIRST THREE SETS of numbers you got with the IPCONFIG /ALL command in the RUN box.
For the last (FOURTH) set, use any number, as long as both PC's, (ALL PC's) have a different number, and DO NOT use the number that is used by the ROUTER, which is most likely the IP ADDRESS your Service Provider gave you.

For the Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0

For the Default Gateway, use the first two sets (same as the PC's) & 1 & 1 => XXX.XXX.1.1

Lot's of luck,
Mark
Hi Have gone through all you said. Only 1 pc still working. Can you please ellaborate the following instruction.

>Be sure DHCP is enabled in the router< How do I check or change the router being DHCP enabled or not??? Is it a manual job on the router or is this another computer setting to check/change?

I have changed the last digits on my computer (ip address manually) to the one already set up as suggested.

Thanks
Hi.Ihave to DVR with a IP addres for example 10.0.0.102 and the another pc with the IP addres 192.168.1.103 they are both on the same network how can i get the pc to communicate with the dvr as there is a program on the pc that needs to get the info on the dvr
magicmarkie Posts 6 Registration date Monday July 14, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2008 2
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Melly,

If your router has DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), you should be able to configure it in a web browser.
To get to the web page to configure the browser, you usually enter the four sets of numbers, most likely the IP address that your ISP gave you.

You also said that you configured the IP address on the one PC.

What did you enter as the IP address, and what IP address did the ISP say was you IP address.

Usually, 192.168.X.X is reserved for small, home networks. I'm assuming your ISP gave you an IP address that started with 192.168. ? . ? .

Let me know what the ISP gave you, and what you set the one PC's IP address to be.

Also, let me know how you have it cabled. It should be cabled such that you have an RJ-45 Straight Cable from you Cable Modem to you Router INPUT, and each PC using an RJ-45 Straight Cable from the PC to an OUTPUT port on the Router.

Let me know this info, and we'll probably have to take it step by step, and configure it manually, as I'm not sure how your particular router is set up, or the details of setting it up.

One other thing to check.... You said you are using XP, I assume on both PC's. Go into Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and in the Advanced Settings, make sure the LAST option,
"Use Simple File Sharing [Recommended]", is CHECKED, on both PC's.

Get back to me & I'll try to help you through this. Networking, even a small, home network, can sometimes give you a bunch of problems.

Talk to ya' soon.

Mark MagicMarkie@mybluelight.com if you care to use it.