I can't Install Mac Leopard , Plz Help

Solved/Closed
skullman2009 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 12, 2008 - Aug 12, 2008 at 07:15 PM
 Clark5731 - Dec 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Hello,

Could you please tell how to install Mac Leopard In my New Western Digital Hard disk. I formatted my entire hard disk so as to install the system but when it comes to * Select the Destination * , I can't select anything because nothing can be selected. So, why my hard disk (a new one) is not detectable? why is it not listed in * Select The Destination * window ? Please Help , I 'm really frustrated.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

11 responses

I had a similar problem...Macbook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, went balls to the wall and replaced hard drive with new Western Digital 500gb hard drive. Tried to boot up from the install disk and it wouldn't recognize the drive, nor give me formatting options at all.

When I opened Disk Utilities (in the upper left hand side of the screen when booting Leopard disk), I was able to see that I had indeed installed the drive but, as I already mentioned, no formatting options were clickable. The only clickable thing was "Erase" which didn't make sense to me because it was a new disk and erasing it would do no good. But after fiddling for awhile I decided to bite the bullet (there was no mention of clicking "Erase" as a viable solution to my problem in any of the forums/blogs/support pages that I could find).

I clicked "Erase" and lo and behold, the new hard drive was being formatted right before my eyes. After just a few seconds I was able to restart the computer, I held the option key to boot from disk and voila! I installed OS X Leopard on my new hard drive and am happily typing this for all those who have a similar problem. Just click "Erase" in the Disk Utility when you have the hard drive highlighted. That solved it for me!
OMG! YOUR SOOOOOOOO AWSOME! I had your same problem but your PERFECT instructions beat the two day headache over here in two minutes !!! WOW Thank you kind sir...YOU ROCK!
I HUGE thank you for your post. Its bad enough I lost all my information on my drive, but then not being able to install leopard from scratch was driving me nuts.

You saved me a lot of time - thanks!
thanks to you my friend!!!!!!!!!!! I got the same problem and when I googled ur thing came up....so easy ...thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
Thank you man! Perfect solution! 1 click, wait for 20 sec or something and BOOM every things works! Thank you! :D
Thanks mate! Massive help
Midwest Surf guy
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:08 AM
I recently had the same issue; not being able to see my hard drive when in Disk Utility. This happened after I erased my hard drive.

The fix has happened more than once, so chance may not be the factor. I simply kept shutting down the computer (thru force shut down by holding the power button), then restarting it. After a few times, the computer would register seeing my hard drive.
oh my gosh! It worked! thanks a lot. I wish the genius bar would have told me all this.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I am also having this problem. I'm running disc utility off of a brand new Leopard install disc, and the internal HD will not show up in D.U.

It did show up once, and I repaired permissions on the disc, which came back OK. When I tried to get Leo to install, it sat there for about 5-10 minutes, and then said "Install failed". I reboot, and again the problem with no HD showing up whatsoever.

Is there a terminal command to force the installer to see the internal HD? I've never used terminal before, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

*roars*
having the same prob Choose D.U. Then clicked on Hard Disk and no format options appeared only First Aid Erase Partition Read and Restore.
In First Aid tab I clicked further down on Verify After it said it had completed verifying I clicked repair at bottom of screen. Can you advise what to do next

Frustrated
Ayan > Pughie
Dec 21, 2009 at 07:21 AM
hello guys! when i'm trying to install mac os x jas 10.5.4 on my amd pc,i is restarted.i mean when I try to boot with my dvd I take some time, and then it was restarted.what is the problem.plz help me.as soon as possible.

I HAVE :

250 GB SEAGATE (STATA)

2 GB RAM (DDR 2)

ASUS MOTHER BOARD WITH NVIDEA IN BUILD GRAPHICS CARD (256) MB.

AYAN
Does it just restart by itself?
you need to format the disk using Disk Utility, and the you'll be able to install
computerguy777
Aug 12, 2008 at 09:05 PM
I have that problem too. hmmmmm....try restarting it or looking around the internet I'm going to do that.
How did you resolve this? Having the same problem with a macbook. Were you installing onto a mac or a pc?
I'm battling with the same problem; anyone had any success? My HDD has been formatted in GUID_partition_scheme...
jigme > Justin
Dec 11, 2008 at 09:29 AM
folks -

the drive *must* be formatted as HFS (Mac extended, journaled), or the installer will not recognize it as a valid install destination - it'll be grayed out. follow these steps:

1) insert Leopard DVD
2) turn off computer
3) hold down 'C' key and turn computer back on
4) wait until you see the Apple logo, then let go the 'C' key
5) wait some more!
6) when you see the Leopard install screen, click 'Next'
7) in the next screen, go to 'Utilities' in the menu at the top of the screen and select 'Disk Utility'
8) in Disk Utility, select the drive and format it as HFS (journaled)
9) when it's done, quit Disk Utility (go to the Disk Utility menu and click 'Quit')
10) continue on with the install - your newly-formatted drive will now appear as an option for the install destination.

simple. good luck!
jigme > jigme
Dec 11, 2008 at 09:34 AM
one last point -

i now notice the original poster is running a windows xp machine. Mac OSX *will not* install on anything other than a Macintosh computer! it *will not* install on your pc (without some serious hacking...)
mannyde > jigme
Dec 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM
My son had a new hard drive installed on this MAC Pro. The folks that did the install did a data transfer and everything is working fine. It boots up with no problem and shows up on the desktop. However when using the Leopard installer to try and do a reinstall of the OS it does not see the hard drive. The utility function of the installer disk does not see the hard drive. It does recognize his USB disk that he has connected but not the Main drive. The drive is formatted as Macintosh Journaled. Right now he can't do a reinstall until the installed recognizes the drive. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Midwest Surf guy > mannyde
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM
I ran into the exact same problem this weekend. The drive was formatted to PC. Leopard would not allow me to install the OS on it. It needed to be a GUID partition.. what ever that is. What I had to do is change the 1 partition to 2 then I deleted them. When I made a new partition I selected to make it a GUID partition. Then things worked like they should.
REMEMBER: Deleting the partitions will wipe any information on the drive.
Hope it helps
Guy
I am having the exact problem as you did guys. I put the new hd (western digital 320gb) then reboot on osX installation DVD, when the moment comes to install I cant select the hd.. there is nothing to select. Have used the disk utility to format the hd, ive erased it too, partitioned it as well, made sure it's formatted in GUID, ive tried installing it as internal hd as well as external with a usb hd case.. absolutely nothing works. I've noticed that I CAN see the harddrive if I ask to see the specifications of the computer. I can see it's there, model, size, free storage etc. I have noticed also that in disk utility it says that the hd is NOT S.M.A.R.T enable.. whereas the original and fully working fujitsu IS SMART enable. What is that? How can I change that on the Western Digital. Im frustrated, I bough this bigger HD in january used it til now that I tried to install Snow leopard, I was only able to install SL on the original hd that came with the mbp and currently not using the big hd. the small hd is packed already!! So sad ! :(
SUUUPER THX !
Thanks guys this info really helped me out :)))