Help installing win xp on Toshiba a215 s7444

Closed
fllr - Nov 17, 2009 at 04:15 PM
 fllr - Nov 18, 2009 at 01:48 PM
Hello,

Trying to install win xp on a Toshiba Laptop a215 s7444, The laptop has no operating system on it at all (it was deleted), and no recovery disk to reinstall the preinstalled os. When trying to install win xp from an cd (the system boots from the disk drive) the system reads "no hard drive" thus not being able to do the installation and when the cd is removed from the disk drive and rebooted the system reads no operating system , I've read that it's feasible to go into the bios and configure the SATA option from ACHI to Compatible, that is not possible with the a215 s7444, so any help would be appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 17, 2009 at 05:36 PM
It is possible to "slipstream" the SATA drivers into the XP install disk. Google "slipstream" for more information.

Windows 7 is a good option if the cost of buying a new OS is not a problem. You can use am "upgrade" copy for Win 7 if you install twice.

Good Luck
Thanks xpcman,

I tried using nLite to install the necessary drivers into the win xp disk and it didn't work, is slipstream that much different? I've done the process (creating an installation disk via nLite) on an different computer for the laptop will not load, it loads the orig win xp disk but then stops short of full installation and reads "no hard drives"

Thanks