Xp auto log off

Solved/Closed
wooty Posts 4 Registration date Monday September 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 9, 2008 - Sep 2, 2008 at 05:37 PM
 somedude - Oct 26, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Hello,
ive recently hit a snag, my windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as I imput my password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically log me off again, ive had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and repair, but unsuccesful.

is there another way, a friend of mine suggested trying to activate the guest account at the log on screen, but I have no knowledge how and neither does he, will this rectify the problem for now?
i am planning on getting a new pc soon, but need access to my user account as there are many important documents for my work on it as well as 10Gb of music that I dont want to see vanish

any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you
Related:

88 responses

In reply to earlier post in the thread. I also had the same problem after clearing pc of malware etc, checked the reg key to make sure it was pointing to userinit.exe but never thought of checking that the userinit file was actually there. It wasn't.

Inserted Bart PE cd and copied the userinit file from there to system32 folder on pc. Sorted.

Thanks for thew pointer
hello guys...

this issue is due because your pc have been infected with a virus... I have got this recently to overcome it I used ''hiren boot cd'' to remove the virus.... then the xp installation cd to repair the damaged OS!!!
I think the solution is format your PC..
Sean from Chicago
May 26, 2009 at 03:02 PM
I replaced the userint.exe through the LAN and the problem was fixed. I think malware was the cause.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Sean from Chicago
May 26, 2009 at 03:02 PM
I replaced the userint.exe through the LAN and the problem was fixed. I think malware was the cause.
Novice approach that worked. This problem is the virus(s) where on my computer the userinst.exe file was deleted, either by AVG or otherwise. I copied the file from another computer, x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe and put it on the other computer where it was missing and works like normal. However explorer was corupted and I cannot access internet so I had to reload windows. Be sure you go to msconfig, startup and make sure these virus files are deleted, FAKURIYO.DLL, FOKITAPE.DLL AND DEFOHESI.DLL
what do you do when the fix discussed here does NOT work? I tried it and nothing, so there must be something else going on. Any ideas?

Thanks!
after I press R and go into the recovery console it only lets me type one letter.... how do I get passed that? im getting so frustrated with this problem! please help anyone! it would be very appreciated.

thanks, SoeSoe
How do I connect my laptop to another computer? and how do I copy stuff to my comp when I cant log on? Sorry, most of you would probably consider these stupid questions, but im a real computer novice and dont understand most of this jargon. pls help! thanks
hello everyone!!! I have the same problem regarding the log off thing.. I did the expand and copy of userinit.exe. using the recovery console of the CD... I did it succesfully but nothing happens...still it logs off when I log in.... can you help me please??? any other solutions??anybody?? thanks a lot..
Blocked Profile
Jul 26, 2009 at 06:45 AM
hi there,

when you start your pc

before entering your password press CTRL+Alt+Del+del

User name put Administrator

Password Press enter

or

when pc is booting press and hold F8to enter safe mode

then go to my computer right click

properties > advance> startup and recovery

click on setting

disable automatic restart

Thanks
"I do this but it says access denied after having typed the EXPAND command and i'm pretty sure I never put a master password so i'm a bit stuck here :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You"

Im also getting the "access is denied" when trying to type in the command, any help?
i have copy userinit.exe in windows \system32 but my problem is sam than what can I do dear in my windows lot of data I cant format it ok pls give me solutaion I m very usade
I was hoplessly during last 2 day with this problem and solved out when I see this forum.

I sincerely thanks to all the peoples posted for solutions.

deeply appreciation!!! ^_^ !!!
Hello Computer Gurus,

I need some major help here. My husband downloaded a bad attachment from a FB email--- it was a virus. I spent all day cleaning up the computer, which is far from my strong suit.

When I went to reboot and log-in, I experienced the same problems as you all have. Here's the big dummy question though... I can't get to the Recovery Console. I have tried booting from my XP disk, I believe, but could someone help out a very tired mama who needs to get her computer back and running to finish working and go to bed sometime this year?

I would love a step by step keystroke as to how to even get to the Recovery Console. If someone could do that for me, I would be forever in your debt!!

Many thanks in advance,
Jennifer
lallaSLC Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2009
Dec 5, 2009 at 02:45 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I just battled with the same issue with my son's computer yesterday and today. This virus is flying all over so I am sure we'll see a bunch of more posts showing up soon.

Btw. does hitting "R" not help with getting the Recovery window up? That did help me but editing anything from there did not so I had to follow this more drastic meassure, which was posted on page 1 in this forum, it solved it beautifully.

http://www.logicnest.com/archives/90

It will require that either you have another machine that runs XP that you can create this utility CD from, or that you have your original Windows Install CD (not Windows recovery CD).

Good luck.
Lena
I have a small Dell Latitide that got a trojan. I was trying to boot it inot safe mode to remove it by running Symantec which was always on my machine. Not it logs me off as soon as I try an log on.
I had disabled the the system restor prior which is what Symantec tells you to do.
One more thing: after u login, best thing would be to do System Restore, to point of time befire u got the virus. Make sure its before virus, couse if is after time u got the virus, it can ruin ur tend, and u need to remove it over again... After u restore the point, it will be no sign of virus for sure. (I done it same)
JustLiam Posts 6 Registration date Thursday January 7, 2010 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2010
Jan 8, 2010 at 02:05 PM
Ive had this same problem and ran through about 50 posts for fixes yet my situation is always slightly different so Im stuck. Ive tried replacing the userinit.exe file. Extracted it from an xp cd n then I copied it to the local drive of the machine not booting. Then in recovery console you paste it into the system32 folder. There are fixes all over explaining this. However after 2 full days of constantly unhooking the problemed hard drive from the laptop and hooking it up through usb onto my working laptop, then putting it back in the bad laptop to test, Im ready to throw the laptop through my window... Here is my issue if someone can please help.

Problem.... I turn on Dell laptop. Welcome screen comes up. I type in the password for the one ID that appears. It says logging in. I see the desktop wallpaper for maybe 8 seconds. Then under the ID it will say, "saving settings, logging off". It never shuts down on its own. Just logs me off.

My specific Problem with the fix posted everywhere... I dont have a bootable xp cd. I do have the upgrade non bootable xp cd. So I hooked up the bad hard drive to my laptop as a secondary device via usb and on my laptop opened up a cmd prompt. I expanded the userinit.ex_ file from the cd (d:\) to E: (which is the bad hard drive). After expanding I copy pasted the new userinit.exe file to E:\windows\system32. No luck. I then looked for all the userinit files on the bad hard drive. I replaced all of them...
By the way, there were numerous viruses and malware on the bad hard drive in which I cleaned before this problem began.
I have read that there is one other fix which pertains to renaming the userinit.exe file to userinitnew.exe. Then going into regedit and changing the path to the new file name. But because I cannot login to the bad hard drive, I cannot access the registry for that hard drive. Ive read to connect to the registry through the good laptop then using "connect remotely through the network" or something like that. Which I tried. But the bad hard drive is not on the network it is only connected via usb. And obviously I cant connect it to the network because it wont bootup.
With all this being said I guess I have a 2 part question...
1. Is there a way to edit the registry on an external hard drive connected via usb through my working laptop?
2. Is there a fix for the auto logoff issue without having access to regedit on the bad hard drive, not having recovery console but having an xp cd only readable on the good laptop, and not being able to logon in safe mode. (safemode gives me the same problem as logging in normally) Its almost as if it begins to login safemode but then changes half way through and goes back to normal login mode.
Any help? As I said... window, throwing, laptop, is next,
Thanks in advance
Liam
Hi Liam,

what about starting the bad laptop with a bootable CD to check the registry as stated in my post 193 (https://ccm.net/forum/affich-22087-xp-auto-log-off#193) in "Finally I used an unix regedit ...".
Therein a bootable CD is created.This you should insert this your bad laptop and boot from CD. When the CD is loaded a registry editor pops up and you will see the registry to check it.

Regards,

Daniel
thanks... that is our major problem in our internet cafe. your my hero.
I've read through all 4 pages of this topic... and So far, I've tried almost solutions... however I face difficulties..

First thing about Recovery Console... I cant find it, I boot from the Windows XP cd, see the set up page, the only buttons to press are F6, and F2, which is Automatic Recovery. I pressed F2, and it requires another cd I dont have...

I can't find the instruction to press 'R'

So I tried to wait till all the setup to load its files, and still, there is no 'R' for me to press...

>>>sigh, I know my question seemed stupid but I'm sorry I really cannot find it.

About BartPE, since I only have one CD drive, I tried to create an ISO image so that I can burn later, but, there were errors like Cannot find MSTSC.exe, and so it said it cannot create the ISO...

Please help...
Oh btw, about pressing F8 to go on safe mode... It appears for me to select the drive to boot instead... Am I pressing in the wrong timing?