Internet Connection Problem

Closed
Todd - Oct 6, 2008 at 06:30 PM
 Tac One - Jan 13, 2009 at 08:03 PM
Hello,

My internet connection on my home PC running windows XP recently stopped working. The cable modem appears to be working fine as I'm able to plug in both my wireless router and various laptops and I'm able to connect. I can ping my IP address and I receive a response, I can also directly enter IP addresses into my browser, i.e. for google and can access the website. When I try and ping my DNS number I don't receive any response. This leads me to believe I have some issue communicating with the DNS server.

I am also unable to change my DNS or IP address through the windows Control Panel process. I select the TCP /IP and click on the "properties" button and windows crashes to the desktop.

I was able to use the command prompt to change my DNS number to the Open DNS server, but I still have no connectivity to the internet.

Any ideas other than a windows reinstall? Could I have a hardware problem?

4 responses

you might try entering "ipconfig /renew" in the Start menu.
thanks, no luck. I tried running a malware removal tool as well with no luck.
I'm currtently having the same problem,the connection is fine at first then it disconnects and cannot find the access point. I'm trying various Mal-ware programs with no luck so far.
engg1987 Posts 4 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2009
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:18 PM
can u tell whic isp service you if tell me i can tell u better
Using Comcast.