Opening Programs w/out 'open with' appearing

Solved/Closed
Wanderer - Mar 13, 2010 at 04:53 PM
 lana - Jun 9, 2011 at 06:34 AM
Hello,

I use Vista and everything was dandy until I got a virus. After getting rid of this virus (the vista internet security virus) I found that all my programs won't run as they used to. If I click on an icon for firefox or a media player the 'open with' box turns up as if it doesn't know how to run the program. In order to use anything I have to right click the icon and run as administrator. And I have to do this every single time. Any programs that started up automatically when turning my laptop on don't start up automatically anymore. If i type 'regedit' in the search bar at start a box comes up and tells me that the application can't be found. Same thing happens when trying to use a program from my Dell Dock.

If someone could help me I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers in advance.

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 9, 2010 at 06:44 AM
Hello,

Here are two solutions to your ache if the first one does not work, please apply the second.

THE FIRST SOLUTION

Right click your program or link and choose "Run as". In the dialog, uncheck "Protect...". Say ok and now everything will work... If not...

THE SECOND SOLUTION:

1. Download, unzip and run Godzilla Fix:

https://community.broadcom.com/home

2. Download, install, update Malwarebyte and run a FULL (I insist FULL scan)

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

You may be required to reboot during the process.

3. After the scan delete the items found.

Now if none of you comeback to give me some feedback, my spirit will haunt you for etenity and I will cast a spell on your system. I'am serious.

Best regards
you make my day thank you thank you... i am in this fieled from last ten years i hv done scaning with different tools but no joy but this one work gr8 cheers
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 8, 2011 at 05:26 AM
Dear Saf

Thank you for your feedback
thankyou very much, the second solution works perfectly