IDE cabel hard not detect [Solved/Closed]

gayasharp 23 Posts Saturday October 11, 2008Registration date May 4, 2009 Last seen - Oct 13, 2008 at 08:56 PM - Latest reply:  ricky
- Aug 25, 2010 at 03:17 PM
Hello,ii hv sata and ide cable hard.but ide cable hard not detect. some time I boot the computer it not work..some time not boot the machine.when I try to slave it not work..how overcome this problem?? please help me..if any one know the good solution for that reply me ..thanks..
See more 

15 replies

Best answer
xpcman 19323 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateContributorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Oct 14, 2008 at 12:11 AM
Thank you
If your BIOS can't see the IDE hard drive then it's not Connected or it's not powered up.

Just because you have a SATA drive does not mean that your IDE drive must be "slave" The slave/master thing only applies to two devices on one IDE cable.

So you have two IDE cables one attached to the DVD and one attached to IDE hard drive. In this case it doesn't matter what the jumpers are set to. It should work in all cases.

So what's wrong?

a list of things that COULD be wrong:

bad IDE cable to IDE hard drive
bad power cable to IDE hard drive
bad IDE hard drive
bad secondary IDE drive socket and/or motherboard circuit
BIOS setting disabling the secondary IDE controller

things you could do:

Test the hard drive in the primary IDE controller
use a different power connector to the hard drive
use a different hard drive (if you have one)
check BIOS settings

Thank you, xpcman 13

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1801 users this month

How do u work around this on a laptop the bios setting are already preset by the manufacturers and the cables can't be rest, I use a HP presario with an amd processor but when I boot into the mac install environment and open the disk utility it does not see my hard drive or the IDE controller
xpcman 19323 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateContributorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Oct 13, 2008 at 09:24 PM
Thank you
Your booting to the SATA hard drive or the IDE hard drive?
Have you set the BIOS booting sequence and/or device? Do you see the IDE hard drive in the BIOS screen?

How many devices do you have connected to the IDE (PATA) cable? One or two?
If 2 then you know one device must be "master" and one must be "slave". If you have a CD/DVD drive on this cable - disconnect it (just for testing) and reboot the PC.

What type cable type are you using - 40-wire-conductor or 80-wire-conductor?
Get a NEW 80-wire-conductor cable - your current one may be bad.

Do you have the IDE drive plugged into the primary device controller or the secondary?
Normally you want the hard drives on the primary device controller.
Hi, Im having the same problem, I have a IDE harddrive (Hitachi) and a DVDDRIVE (Liteon), my MOBO supports only 1 IDE slot so I have to connect both of them in 1 80wire-conductor, but when ever I boot the dvd drive is not read. both of them are set to cable select, because whenever I change settings like set HDD to Master my PC wont boot at all and displays "MAC ADDRESS 00-XXXX-XXXX" x's are numbers...

Am I missing something? a little help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
gayasharp 23 Posts Saturday October 11, 2008Registration date May 4, 2009 Last seen - Oct 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Thank you
booting sata hard..i need get ide hard as slave.. in BIOS screen I cant see ide hard..

only one device connect to ide cable(DVD rom). I use 40-wire-conductor..
IDE drive plugged into the secondary..
Thank you
Sir I am having trouble as I need it sorted at early as all my data is on my two IDE drives.
I have bought sata and installed xp on it. Now my other two IDE drives when connected are not showing partitions in windows also it is asking me to format the drive, which I am afraid as it might erase my critical datas.
Sir plz help me .......

I just want to see my IDE datas and partitions as it was before.
I have also checked the properties of the IDE drive by right clicking and checking the properties. It says
file system : RAW
and is not showing any data or partitions of my old IDES.

Can you help me ??
Thank you
dear sir I have facing problem that my hdd not detect my same computer but the hdd detect other compter I will change hdd cable but problem is same plzz gaide me.
Dear sir I have facing problem that my hdd not detect my same computer but the hdd detect other compter I will change hdd cable but problem is same plzz gaide me.
Thank you
i have a ide seagate harddisk 160gb.i have a one broblem The BIOS setings detect the hard disk Hard Drive Doesn't Boot.
i have this problem too I also have no clue what to do to fix it
i am having the same hardisk as mentioned above n I have checked in my bios menu under Main section none of the device is detected I have done each n every thin which I could do but dint get ny fix. tell me what to do???
gayasharp 23 Posts Saturday October 11, 2008Registration date May 4, 2009 Last seen - Oct 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM
Thank you
Thanks lot..u hv solve my problem..thanks again..
Thank you
I had the same problem, the fix was in the bios settings. I have a MSI motherboard and I do not know if the settings are the same for other boards but to fix it I had to go into the Integrated Peripherals settings and then the On-Chip IDE Configuration. For XP the On-Chip ATA(s) mode needed to be set to Native, the ATA Configuration to P-ATA Only, S-ATA Keep Enable to Yes, P-ATA Channel to Both and S-ATA Ports Definition to PO-1st / P1 - 2nd

You are having the problem probably because your bios is set only to recognize the SATA and not the IDE 1 and or 2 slots. You need to check you MoBo manual and/or call the manufacture to get help to have the MoBo see all the slots.
Thank you
I had the same problem, the fix was in the bios settings. I have a MSI motherboard and I do not know if the settings are the same for other boards but to fix it I had to go into the Integrated Peripherals settings and then the On-Chip IDE Configuration. For XP the On-Chip ATA(s) mode needed to be set to Native, the ATA Configuration to P-ATA Only, S-ATA Keep Enable to Yes, P-ATA Channel to Both and S-ATA Ports Definition to PO-1st / P1 - 2nd

Check you MoBo manual.
kldfvbjfkv bgf - Mar 27, 2010 at 07:52 AM
Thank you
Swap the wire connected to the hard disk