CD Key

Closed
MikeyCee - Apr 22, 2010 at 07:53 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 23, 2010 at 01:15 PM

Ok... here's the story.

I have an HP desktop that decided to crap out on me.
(it lost an .ini file and wont boot)
Found the XP install disc but there's no accompanying product code.

One thing I DO have going for me is I have a laptop (Acer Aspire) I can place the XP cd in and read files off of it.

I've ran the gambit..... downloaded jellybeans
All that did was give me the product key from my ACER
(quite impressive, tho)

I've also ventured into the workings of the XP cd....
W/O going into too much detail, Folder i386..... text file.... product key is *supposed* to be there.
This has worked for me in the past and it *appeared* like it was going to work again..... but the HP says the 25 character key I found wasn't valid.

Needless to say.... I've installed ALL the windows components up to the CD key point (approx 75% of the process)

I'm purposely being a bit long winded because I don't want to waste anyone's time... including my own :)

What I'm looking for is a program I can install on my laptop.... throw this XP cd in the drive and have the CD.... (NOT HARDDRIVE) product code revealed

Is there such a beast???

I seriously don't want to compromise my laptop by going in search of a reverse engineered OS.... but I can't see spending any money on repairing a laptop that may turn out to be junk.

messed up when I wrote .ini file..... was a .dll
Either way.... the HP STILL wont boot)

Need help!!

Thx
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 23, 2010 at 01:15 PM
There is no code on the CD. Just a program that can validate the code that you input.