I cannot view my CD-ROM/ DVD DRIVE

Solved/Closed
Raju - Oct 27, 2008 at 01:37 AM
 32 - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Hello friends,

I have got a pronblem in my computer. I have recently formatted my computer and after installing windows xp this time . I cannot view my CD-ROM/DVD drive.

Can you please tell me how can I view it or reinstall i?

Looking forward for your kind support.

Regards,
Rajesh Chaudhary
Related:

10 responses

rubrami281 Posts 164 Registration date Tuesday September 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 104
Oct 27, 2008 at 01:03 PM
First......restart computer....go to start...control panel....system.....device manager....under dvd/cd drives open + and look 4 yellow caution triangle icon...right click and delete...close window....go to start....run....type in "regedit" ok..go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...open + on SYSTEM open + on CURRENTCONTROLSET open + on CONTROL open + on CLASS open + LOOK 4 {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE,etc.} and click on it........to screen on right look for "lower filters" hi-lite....go to top left and on edit right click and delete! Do same 4 "Upper filters"..........close window and restart computer.............without touching any buttons on keyboard....except to login......you should see driver being installed once again for your dvd/cd drive.........GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the tip. I just fixed two of my computers on which I had installed Norton 360 and the dve/cd drives became invisable (one vista and one xp).
Hi Rubrami281,

I wanted to thank you heartily for posting your solution to the problem caused by Norton 360 (version 3.0) that disabled CD/DVD-ROM drive. I followed your instructions and got my CD-ROM drive (on one PC) and my DVD-ROM drive (on another PC) back to work again.

I used to work for Ingram Labs (now defunct), a testing lab division of Ingram Micro, and we tested hardware and software, mostly for compatibility issues. I remembered the lab tested extensively on Hewlett-Packard systems and I was positively impressed with how HP's commitment to its product quality.

Shame on Symantec! They should have thoroughly tested its Norton 360 3.0 before releasing to the public. It should be quite obvious that Norton 360 had serious problems (disabling CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive under Windows XP, for one). Didn't they even bother to test it on one PC running under Windows XP!

Thank you again for your tips. Have a wonderful holiday of the season!

Regards,

Dienyih (Gilbert) Chen
Torrance, California
u r a freakn life saver
Jan 4, 2010 at 01:36 AM
thanks.my lady added norton wich only complicated things
pacchij > Tech editor
Jan 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM
norton 360 uses Gear drivers to GearASPIWDM.sym (found in Windows\system32\driver folder) for interacting with Optical drives in its backup modules.

Gear Software which is the leading provider for optical solution in industry, is incompatible with few other softwares found on system. if your target XP pc has any other incompatible drivers, then that would cause Gear to malfunction.

I would suggest to check for any recent installed programs and uninstall them. Or alternatively you an also try to uninstall and install the N360. Get latest drivers from Gear and try install them.
A big thank you rubrami281!

I was just about to give up trying to get our dvd/drive to work after trying for ages, but then came across your advice. Brilliant, thank you so much!

Rose xx
what should one do if you you get the the "under dvd/cd drives open + and look 4 yellow caution triangle icon" step and there is no under dvd/cd drives available to select.
HI ! Not long ago I had the same problem ( I have Vista installed) I tried to do all that things with Upper and Lower Filters and it worked !!! As NIKE says : JUST DO IT !
I have windows 98 se, on an older computer, that all of a sudden, I saw no sign of my cd rom any where on my computer. Does your explanation work on windows 98 se also?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Is it work for windows 7 also? I am not found the lower and upper filters in my pc. please help.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 17, 2010 at 06:19 AM
Hello Prithvi

Be daring and courageous! Try it! What have you got to loose?
Hi there, I have VISTA and have just today installend Norton 360 v3 and my cd/dvd drive disappeared. I have tried the above but can't seem to see any upper or lower filters listed. Norton deny that is a fault caused by them. Can anybody help?

Regards.
I have removed the upper filters numerous times, but they keep coming back, I don't know they get back in there, but they do. I started having this problem after I installed Norton 360. I talked with them, they blamed it on Microsoft. Norton sent me the solution on how to delete the upper filter. Has anyone had the same experience of the filters coming back.
wellbutrinrules
Nov 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM
hey man,

Deleting the device and removing the upper and lower filters really worked. Thanks a million.
I have vista on two computers and after installing norton 360 my cd drivers were disabled.
I have since uninstalled 360 and now use McAfee with no problems. sams club gave me a refund on
the 360 .
Hi,
I lost my two drives after having installed Norton 360 from a cdrom, and so did my wife. Then I deinstalled the Norton 360 completely and downloaded a testversion from Nortons homesite and installed that on both computers. Now all drives are visible and work.
Kjeld, Denmark.
Wow.. worked for me to after hours of trouble shooting.. thanks
Thank You It worked like a charm .