Jumping cursor on laptop

Closed
Fi - Jun 9, 2010 at 06:04 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 13, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Hello,

I've had a Dell Inspirion laptop for about a year and a half, but recently it had a really annoying problem. It had it when I first got it, but then it went away.

When typing on the keyboard it randomly jumps the cursor to different points in the typing field, it happens in emails, word etc. It also sometimes highlights whole parts of the typing (usually when using shift to make a capital letter) and then deletes it.
It takes me ages to type things, as I have the put the curor back in the right place all the time, or retype when it deletes everything. So frustrating! It seems to work ok if I type really really slowly though.

I'm not sure what has changed in the last few weeks, but it started to happen again after I had a virus and used norton help to get rid of it and then install norton 360, but I have no idea how this might have made a difference??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Fiona

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Jun 9, 2010 at 06:23 AM
Hello Fiona,

You case is not unique.

I have been looking for a solution to this issue for months. The problem mainly occurs on laptops and especially on Dell laptops.

It is not a configuratio, driver or memory problem.

I have found two possible solutions.

The first, the least expensive, is cleaning your laptop's innards with a compressed air. Should the latter fail, it is to have the problem diagnosed by a technician.

Best of luck.

P.S. Most laptops have an international 2 year warranty.
same problem with my Hp laptop. Recently I upgraded from Vista Basic to Windows 7 (32bit) The problem then started. Wondering if it has to do with device drivers compatibility with OS
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Oct 13, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Hello Vijay

In your case, it may be the drivers that need to be updated or reinstalled. Try it and let me know.

Regards