My icons are all the same now!!

Closed
emmy - Jul 8, 2010 at 06:13 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 8, 2010 at 08:19 PM
Hello,
ok,so i open my computer and find all my icons looking the same ,i can still get on my icons but it's a bit more complicated then just double clicking,and there it is infront of you.I need to fix this fast,PLEASE HELP

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 8, 2010 at 08:19 PM
To Rebuild icon cache follow the below mentioned steps -
1. Click Start, then control panel and in the search box write Folder options.
2. Now click Folder Options to open and select (dot) Show hidden files and folders.
3. Open a Windows Explorer window.
4. Go to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local
5. Right click on IconCache.db and click on Delete.
6. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.
NOTE: This deletes the file to the Recycle Bin. It is safe to empty the Recycle Bin when finished.
7. Close the window.
8. Empty the Recycle Bin.
9. Restart the computer.
10. When you go back, you will notice the Size of the IconCache.db file is smaller, and the Date Modified is now the current date.
NOTE: If for some reason IconCache.db is not there or the size has not changed much then you may just restart the computer again. You may need to restart a couple of times in some cases.
11. The icon cache will get rebuilt.

If the issue persists, I would also suggest you to use the windows safety online virus scan and check. Use the steps mentioned on your computer for scanning -http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.