This is a virus activity which prevents to use command prompt on the infected machine, this virus is called PC-OFF.bat trojan which turns off or shutdown your computer when ever you try to use command prompt by any means.
The infected computer restarts on opening command prompt.
Another variant of the this virus is recognized as bar311.exe virus A.K.A. winzip123 which will have almost the same symptoms and when ever you boot your Windows Xp computer in safe mode it will say a message Thank You!!! Password:Winzip123
Let's find out the fix to remove this shutdown virus completely from computer.
1. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc, click the process tab and locate the process named `password_viewer.exe` or `bar311.exe` or `photo.zip.exe` one by one and right click and select `End Process'
2. Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter key or OK button
3. Navigate to the following path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ MICROSOFT \ WINDOWS NT \ CURRENTVERSION \ WINLOGON
4. Locate the key named Userinit in right pane
"Userinit" = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,bar311.exe"
double click and remove the text `bar311.exe' from the above
"Userinit" = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,photo.zip.exe"
double click and remove the text `photo.zip.exe' from the above
"Userinit" = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,password_viewer.exe"
double click and remove the text `password_viewer.exe' from the above
Note: Please make sure after editing the above Userinit key value it should be only
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe (as shown in the image below)
1. upon start up.... after os loading... go to task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL then kill password_viewer.exe or bar311.exe or photos.zip.exe...
2. EDIT the following registry entries thru regedit at start/run
"Userinit"="userinit.exe,bar311.exe" ---> remove ", bar311.exe" only... leave userinit.exe because this is used by Windows when you log-in...
"autorun"="c:\Windows\pc-off.bat" --> remove "c:\Windows\pc-off.bat" or delete the autorun key.
3. go to your flash drive (USB drive), please use the folders view in the explorer and use the navigation panel on the left side when accessing the drives to avoid triggering the autorun... then delete autorun.inf and password_viewer.exe or bar311.exe
4. open notepad then type what is shown below as is...
del /a /f c:\Windows\bar311.exe
del /a /f c:\Windows\password_viewer.exe
del /a /f c:\Windows\photos.zip.exe
del /a /f c:\Windows\pc-off.bat
then save this as remove.bat then click to run.... this will remove the virus...