My Gateway Desktops restarts for no reason

Closed
Cory - Dec 12, 2008 at 01:49 PM
 john - Jun 13, 2009 at 06:05 PM
Hello,
I have a gateway desktop with windows xp on it. The other day the computer started to restart itself for no reason. It starts fine, but after loading windows and all other programs it restarts itself every time. I can't access anything, it just restarts. I don't know what to do. Could this be a virus or an internal problem? If anyone has a solution on how to solve this problem please let me know.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 12, 2008 at 02:37 PM
First try to start in safe mode (push F8 multiple times during the boot) it you can start this way - then do the following:

When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, ofter it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. You could check the error log in this case but that is too easy. We are going to disable auto restart on system failure.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

then restart normally - when it fails you will be able to read the error message - report back what it says.
I have same problem - have traced it to lynksis b-g network card in the gateway computer. It causes reboot when an N network is within range. try upgrading network card.

Good luck