-
Registration date
Friday June 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 22, 2013
-
Hello,

I've been having problems with my external hard drive. Yesterday I plugged it into a DVD player and a laptop, and it worked fine. Today I tried connecting it to my own computer, where it generally works flawlessly, and couldn't make it work.

My computer recognized the hard drive but no letter is assigned to it and I cannot access the data; it's as if it wasn't installed. Also whenever connected my computer works very slow, occassioally freezing. It appears on my list of computer devices when connected but whenever I try to do something from there it freezes.

What options do I have left? is it possible my external hard drive was infected in the other laptop, and if so, is there anything I can do about it without losing any data?

Thanks!

3 replies

Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
Click on Start --> Run --> Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. "Disk Management" will be opened.
Let us know if you are able to see your external drive partition in the Disk Management.
Good Luck
Registration date
Friday June 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 22, 2013

Same problem. Disk Management won't open if hard drive is connected, if I connect it after opening Disk Management it doesn't show up, eventually just freezing. Thanks though!

I should mention I tried it again on the laptop without results, but connecting it to the DVD player I was able to access the data, so that's still there.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter

start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter

"Device Manager" window will be opened.

Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"

Now expand the nodes "Disk Drives" and "Universal serial bus controller" by

clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed entries --> Right click on it -->

Select "Uninstall".

Restart your PC and connect your external drive.

Good Luck
Registration date
Friday June 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 22, 2013

After uninstalling everything I still have the same problems. When plugging in the hard drive it recognizes new hardware but fails to install it properly.
Registration date
Friday June 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 22, 2013

Installing the WD driver doesn't help either.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
If you are using Windows XP then click on the below hyperlink "Fix it" and follow the instructions
Fix it
Or Let us know your operating system. Also let us know if there is any error message displayed after connecting it.
Good Luck
Registration date
Friday June 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 22, 2013

It says I need additional software to activate it. I tried the hard drive on Windows 7 in another PC to similar results, and when I unplugged it told me I have to format the drive. I'm guessing I'm pretty much out of options, I'll try to back-up the information though beforehand. Thanks for your help!