USB device not recognized

Closed
ecuacdn - Oct 3, 2010 at 02:18 PM
 ecuacdn - Oct 6, 2010 at 08:55 PM
Hello,

I have a generic external hard drive. I have vista 32. Over the past few weeks I have been having problems with my computer not recognizing the USB device. In the past I was able to solve the problem by deleting the USB ports and then restarting the computer, at which point the computer would reinstall the ports. That no longer works. I have tried other suggestions that I have forums such as turning off the laptop, unplugging the power source and restarting etc, I have installed updates, looked for new drivers to install, installed the vista service pack, but no luck. I also followed the instructions included below and I had access to my hard drive for a few sweet minutes, but when I unplugged it to move the computer to another location and then re plugged the hard drive in, the same problem happened.

Any advice?

did this and it helped for a few short moments:
First is to ensure that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR start value is 3.

If you are an administrator on the machine, ensure C:\windows\system32\drivers have SYSTEM user access especially USBSTOR.SYS.

If you don't have usbstor.inf in that directory or anywhere in c:\windows, go download from the web.

Go to Device Manager an uninstall the " ? " which was a result of the failed driver installation.

Plug-in the device, then when asked where to search, point to c:\windows\system32\drivers...

Related:

1 response

Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Oct 3, 2010 at 07:32 PM
Hello, ecuacdn i foound some information for you i have giving it to you in the link below hope i have helped you with you problem....

https://ccm.net/computing/windows/4029-mp3-and-usb-flash-drivers-not-recognised-on-windows/

Cheers, Gervarod
Thank you so much for your help. I followed the link and instructions and eventually, yes, I had access to my hard drive for about 40 minutes. I moved my computer from my lap to the table and I got the same error message that the USB device is not recognized. I repeated the same instructions and I had access again for a minute or so, then nothing. I randomly connected my hard drive today and I had access for about a minute and, again nothing. Not sure what to do now.