Select and copy only nonblank cells

Solved/Closed
shootingfish Posts 14 Registration date Sunday February 6, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 - Feb 13, 2011 at 08:13 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 15, 2011 at 05:55 AM
Hello,

many thanks in advance for any responses I get here, I have toiled in vain on this for hours now.

At first it was acceptable to simply copy all the rows in a worksheet and paste them into another workbook. (code attached)

Sub FileB9()

If Not IsEmpty(Range("B9").Value) Then
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Dim FN As String
FN = Range("b9")
Workbooks.Open Filename:=FN, UpdateLinks:=0
Sheets("TotalWeek").Visible = True
Sheets("TotalWeek").Select
Range("a3:bk65000").Copy Workbooks("workbook2.xls").Sheets("DataArchive").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
ActiveWorkbook.Close
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End If

End Sub

As you can see, this code will look at cell b9 and determine a file path, open that file and copy all of the data in the "totalweek" tab. Finally it will paste this information to the first blank cell in the "dataarchive" tab and close the source workbook without saving changes or bothering the human user.

Now things have been expanded a little and the "DataArchive" would need to contain information from more than one source.

I'd be grateful to find out how to change my "Range("a3:bk65000").Copy" to say, "count how many rows from a3:a65000 have information in them (nonblank?), then select only that nuymber of rows"... and so on

Again, many thanks in advance :)

ShootingFish

3 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 14, 2011 at 09:08 AM
Hi Shootingfish,

Is your data continuous?
Is it like:
A1: nonblank
A2: nonblank
A3: nonblank
A4: nonblank
or
A1: Blank
A2: nonblank
A3: Blank
A4: nonblank

In the first case you have already shown you know the answer in this part of your code: Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).

In the second case I can't help you, since I don't know how to handle that.

Best regards,
Trowa
shootingfish Posts 14 Registration date Sunday February 6, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 1
Feb 14, 2011 at 04:41 PM
Hi there, thanks for your response,

I can confirm that every cell in column A has data, it is the date. This would make it easier to create a macro since all other columns do have gaps. I have experimented with a macro to make all blank cells carry a value of "0" however, my problem becomes apparent again, I do not know the expression to use that would say "blank cells, nonblank cells" etc. and I also do not know much on how to specify the boundries of a macro (so all blank cells in the entire worksheet would have a "0" value, from A1:IV65000~)

At this point I must confess that "Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)" was a straight copy and paste from another post on this site - I don't know how to change it to suit my needs.