Some sites don't open

Solved/Closed
Nashar - Feb 24, 2011 at 01:08 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 3, 2011 at 06:43 AM
Hi, sorry in advance for the long question.

The current situation is my internet works perfectly except it won't open a few sites. Other sites are working fine, downloads are working at full speed, streaming is working fine. The sites are:

www.goal.com
www.hotmail.com
www.howtogeek.com
www.failbook.com
www.comixed.com
www.somuchpun.com

and some other random links don't work, but most websites do.

This happened a couple of months ago. At first, all of these websites didn't work on the 2 computers I have. Let's call them laptop A and B, and it didn't work on any cell phones in the house. Then suddenly, without me changing anything, hotmail.com started working on computer A, but the rest of these sites still wouldn't work, and hotmail still wouldnt open on computer B. ALL sites open and work perfectly on any other network. I've taken computer A to cafes, friends' houses and other countries and all the sites worked perfectly, so I know it's something with my network/router.

When I type in goal.com, the page stays the same, the progress bar at the bottom increases reeeeeeally slowly but the site never opens. When I ping the site I get the replies back just fine. When I enter the site's IP in IE or chrome, the name at the top changes to the site's name, but it still doesn't open. When I ping hotmail.com from computer A (ON WHICH HOTMAIL.COM ACTUALLY OPENS AND WORKS) I always get request timed out. Pinging the rest of the sites on the list works fine.

I tried IE8 and Chrome, both have the same problem.
I tried clearing all Internet temporary files.
I tried resetting and reconfiguring the router.
I called my ISP and after spending an hour on the phone with them the guy tells me it's a "problem with my Windows". I know it's not because:

-It's the same problem on different computers AND phones
-The problem only exists at home
-The problem was still there after I formatted computer A
-I'm not an idiot

I have a Zhone Paradyne router, and I have Windows 7 on both computers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Related:

5 responses

I am sorry for the late response but I have been frustrated with my problem so I haven't been around.

I called again and a more competent customer service operator helped me find the problem. The problem was that when I configured the router there was no option for the MTU. The first operator just told me to ignore it. This one however directed me to a file that changes the MTU from the computer itself not from the router and now the websites are working perfectly. Thank you very much for your input.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 24, 2011 at 05:02 PM
Greetings Nashar,

Because of recent happenings in Egypt, as you may know, all Internet traffic was blocked.

Some sites may have been blocked individually and may not have been released yet.

You seem to have done everything to check and repair.

Could you please verify with your ISP and see if the problem originates from there.

I am looking forward to you answer.
Nashar Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 24, 2011 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2011
Feb 24, 2011 at 05:56 PM
This problem has been happening before the events in Egypt, and these sites open and work perfectly on all networks except mine. My friend has the same ISP and these sites work for him.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 25, 2011 at 05:10 AM
Hello Nashar,

Well first I glad that peace has returned and that true freedom is on the horizon.

To solve you problem, I suggest two steps.

You must deep clean any temp files and cookies as well as registry entries that have corrupted the connections to those sites.

Download, install and run these free tools starting with CCleaner.

1. https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4555-ccleaner/

2. https://ccm.net/download/download-13339-eusing-free-registry-cleaner

Good luck and please let me know if you reached the sites.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 3, 2011 at 06:43 AM
Hello Nashar,

Thank you very much for letting me know.

Indeed, sometimes we get incompetents at the end of the line which is very frustrating. I congratulate you for insisting and get higher.

Thanks again and best regards in your new free country.