Can't access (wireless) internet anymore

Closed
JD - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM
 raverkillr - Mar 17, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Studio xps 33 that can no longer connect (wirelessly) to the internet. I click on CONNECT TO... and find my wireless network. It says "successfully connected", but then I can't get either IE or Mozilla to connect.

It used to work about 2 weeks ago, then started getting sporadic connectivity. Now nothing.

I just tried it out on my wireless network at work (which ALWAYS worked with it) and have the same problem.

Do I need a new wireless card/modem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

JD

Related:

1 response

Well, try to diagnose first if your computer/laptop can really connect through wifi.

1. Go to Command Prompt as an administrator. (right click the command prompt shortcut and click run as an administrator)

2. Type ping www.yahoo.com. It should give you a bunch of data onscreen. Check the "packets" section: Sent, Received, Lost. Lost should be 0.

3. After that, type tracert www.yahoo.com. It should give you again a bunch of data onscreen. They are ping requests to different routers/access points that your connection goes thru before reaching its destination.

If you receive a negative message (like destination unreachable, or no connection, etc) on no. 2 or no. 3 commands you can try these solution.

1. Go to Command Prompt as an administrator. (right click the command prompt shortcut and click run as an administrator)

2. Type netsh ip int reset resetlog.txt

3. Type netsh winsock reset

4. Reboot for laptop/desktop.

5. Do step number 1 again.

6. Type ipconfig /flushdns

7. Type ipconfig /release

8. Type ipconfig /renew

Try connecting to your wifi again then diagnose your connection again. If you get positive message, try browsing the internet again.

If you can diagnose fine but still can't surf the internet, then you either got a browser problem or a firewall problem. Just delete cache and cookies and try turning off your firewall. See if that works.