All Programs say "choose file to open" [Solved/Closed]

-
 bubba -
Hello,
I've recently got a virus in my Dell laptop. My sister has cleared the virus (since it's her laptop), everytime I open a program (eg. Google Chrome) it asks me what file to choose to
open with, even though it's a program (.exe file).I could get on the internet by clicking "look for the appropriate program on the web." If you could help me, that would be greet.

Cheers
-Rey

1 reply

Registration date
Thursday August 19, 2010
Status
Last seen
August 3, 2016

Greetings,

The virus in question has modified registry keys which prevents opening programmes. Now, several viruses do that and you may not have all the same virus.

For once in my lifetime, Symantec has created a useful tool. Mind you, Symantec in line with its principal, created a tool which will not remove the virus but at least resolve the open with problem.

I could give you directives to modify registry entries but that would require time and in some cases be risky.

So after running the tool, all of you must download, install, update and run Malwarebyte.

So here are the steps:

1. Download, unzip and run Godzilla Fix:

https://community.broadcom.com/home

2. Download, install, update Malwarebyte and run a FULL (I insist FULL scan)

https://ccm.net/download/download-105-malwarebytes

You may be required to reboot during the process.

3. After the scan delete the items found.

Now if none of you comeback to give me some feedback, my spirit will haunt you for eternity and I will cast a spell on your system. I'am serious.

Best regards
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

EDIT: I got to open Malware Bytes ( I don't know how) and I did a full scan. I got a virus that says:
Broken.OpenCommand

-Rey
Registration date
Thursday August 19, 2010
Status
Last seen
August 3, 2016

If you are able to run Malware Bytes, that's mean you can run executable files again. After the scan, if Malware Bytes find a virus, remove it by clicking on "remove infected file" or something like that.
Thanks for the Malwarebytes. The explanation of the registry rewrites made me realize that I already had some things on my computer to fix the problem, so luckily, I didn't need to Kill Godzilla. Once I got the registry errors fixed, I did grab Malwarebytes, and it worked wonders. Thanks, mate.
Registration date
Thursday August 19, 2010
Status
Last seen
August 3, 2016

Hi Ven,

I'm happy to know that your issue is fixed.

Regards!
killgodzilla fixed the problem for me.

thanks bionik!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!