16 BIT MS DOS PROGRAM IN VISTA

Closed
REZA - Jan 15, 2009 at 08:15 AM
 CyberGenesis - Jun 18, 2010 at 01:45 AM
Hello,
how can i run 16 bit ms dos base program in vista 64bit?
how can i run command prompt in full screen mode in vista 64 bit?
how can i use and reach at least 612 kb of conventional and 60kb upper memory in windows vista 64 bit ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Related:

7 responses

Vista 32 allows you to run DOS programs... To help the situation you can also try TameDOS which add more functionality to DOS in Vista (and windows in general)
I run 64 bit Windows Vista and Windows 7, I run 16-bit apps OK with DOSBox, then installed Win 3.1 into dosbox.
It is called "DosBox". Google "DosBox" and it could help you. Other then that, I don't think you can do those things in vista.
Please tell me why my 16 bit MS-Dos applications that run in MS Windows XP and below
won't run on MS Windows Vista and MS Windows 7 (I brought a new netbook with Win 7
thinking or believing the reviews that Win 7 had XP functionality. I find Win 7 to have bugs,
(my internet connection went, puff, then everything to get back required internet access (a catch 22 I might say).

Please do not give me the same tired answers. I represent the old schoolers that spent money to
purchase Win 3 - Win XP, (we weren't stupid enough to buy Vista, but were to buy Win 7).

We have thousands of dollars of software that works well on XP and below. We have been buying
as many XP machines as possible. We know that this is the end of independant programming and
the beginning of an era where you had better keep XP machines in your private collection like a old
mustang. We are not going to give up our 16 bit software that works perfectly fine. Please help
us, give us code that works like "

config.sys
autoexec.nt (lauched from the autoexec.bat file)
command.com

These files under C:\windows\systems32 seem to be causing Vista and Win 7 to not recognize
the MS-Dos software I purchased from Microsoft, nor, does it recognize my programs written
in MS QBasic, or MSQuick Basic. I paid Microsoft money for those programs, then they turn around and
design Vista and Win 7 to not read the files\format\executable files created by them in the first place.

I am hot !! I am mad !!! I spend good money for my software and for my multiple computer
that we run. Microsoft should test their products more or include people like myself to help point
out "regular people computer problems", for people that work, have families, or are in school, an
don't have time or want solve or troubleshoot problems once they come home.

Sincerely,

Mad in IOWA
Me too :( If you find the answer, please share it with me!!! :(
64bit OS do not backlog to 16bit like they do to 32bit. XP and other 32bit systems would backwards compat to 16s, but in the assumption that no one likes to retro game (Which i do, and sadly i have a lot of win-based 16bit apps i cant currently run) they decided not to support that far back. Much like Mac did with OS X.
The Windows XP mode that can be installed in Windows 7 ran my DOS app fine.
How to install 'The Windows XP mode' in Windows 7/windows Vista to run my dos Applications

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Try a software called Exdos. Maybe supports?
http://taosdc.com/
I WANT TO RUN A 16-BIT DOS APPLICATION IN 64-BIT WINDOWS 7

IS IT POSSIBLE

IF YES THEN HOW IT IS POSSIBLE
chentiangemalc
Mar 24, 2010 at 05:39 AM
You can use Windows XP mode

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

It requires Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate. If you have Home Premium there is a way to install it if you search the net, but you need to download it from a Win7 professional, Enterprise or Ultimate machine.

If the program doesn't require MS-DOS drivers you can also use DosBOX which I've found also runs Windows 3.1 quite well:

http://www.dosbox.com/

The reasons for 16-bit