Bios wont load from hard drive?

Closed
xI EL1TE Ix - May 19, 2011 at 07:49 PM
 xI EL1TE Ix - May 19, 2011 at 08:20 PM
I recently took in a friends computer that his 8yr son uses. Windows was full of viruses so i had to reload windows xp onto the hard drive ( via install disc ) That was a problem in itself, after changing the boot sequence in the bios it would not load from the cd even though it was in first place. After hours of trying different things i gave up and took the hard drive out of his computer and put it into my old desktop and re installed windows without a problem. Now after putting the drive back into my friends pc it wont load windows. All i can do is enter setup mode ( bios settings and what not ) and one thing i did notice is that the cpu time is off every time i unplug the pc ( not sure if this is related or normal ) .. Any thoughts on what may be causing the problem?

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 19, 2011 at 08:00 PM
Cpu time off indicates that the CMOS/BIOS battery is dead.

In general you can't install Windows on one PC and then move the hard drive to a different PC with a different motherboard. When Windows is installed it customizes itself to the hardware it finds on the motherboard. Rarely when you restart Windows it will find that the disk controller is compatible and it will boot.

I suggest you change the CMOS button battery and then try another Windows install.

Good Luck
I did not know that about windows being specific to the hardware you install it on. I also did notice on the screen before i even enter the bios settings it saying something about cmos battery was low or something so i would assume that this is my problem. Thank you very much for your input! Now I'm on the hunt for a new battery