Can't see files or desktop icons...malware?

Solved/Closed
coolrunnings - Jul 11, 2011 at 01:29 PM
 tammmoor - Nov 6, 2019 at 08:19 AM
Hello,

For some reason I can't see any of my files or desktop icons. I couldn't access task manager for a while so I ran a Malwarebytes scan, removed the 5 threats it found, and can now see task manager but still not any of my files on the C drive or desktop icons.

I'm sure it's some kind of malware as I had a fake "windows warning" (or something like that...) thing pop up a few weeks back that was definitely not legit. How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Related:

3 responses

Joseph.net Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday July 13, 2011 Status Member Last seen July 13, 2011 1
Jul 13, 2011 at 09:43 PM
Try this way bro..
Right click on ur Desktop > View > Tick on "Show Desktop Icon"

maybe it's work..

Goodluck~
thanks u right....
wow...its as easy as this command..tnx joseph
you rock bro.
Thanks, easy fix!
thanks bro
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jul 12, 2011 at 04:46 AM
Hello Jonathan,

Looking at you log, you system is no longer infected but the desktop was disabled.

First, go to run and type explorer.exe and click ok. It should restore the desktop. If that does not work...

Open your registry editor (run regedit) and search the following key

HKLM\...\policies\Explorer] - "NoActiveDesktop"=1

Change the "1" to 0 and reboot your machine

If the above does not recover the missing icons, you will need to restore the system.

Good luck
that comment about the (HKLM\...\policies\Explorer] - "NoActiveDesktop"=1) is a lil vague, need more in depth info please
at least describe in a little more detail how to get to that because ive been playing around in my regedit for the past 20 mins >.<
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 15, 2011 at 05:21 AM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\ActiveDesktop
thnx dude very usefull to me............
Thanks for you information, it fixed my problem.
you need to unhide files first

run this command as a administrator

Attrib %systemdrive%\*.* /s /d -h

then

Navigate to %temp%\smtmp folder,you should find your startmenu and desktop icons
if u dont find smtmp folder just restore the icons using recuva
Thank you so much!!