External Hard Disk is not opening

Closed
gera_gg - Nov 3, 2011 at 06:22 AM
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 - Nov 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Hello Technocrats,
I transferred some data into my external hard disk and when I plugged it in another computer, a message box prompts and says "You can't open without formatting it". Help me please as I do not want to loose my precious data.
Related:

2 responses

mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Nov 3, 2011 at 07:27 AM
hi

right click my computer(for windows) and go to manage. then go to... storage then to disk management, it should be in there, unformatted.

what os are you using? its an external, so you might need to install drivers for it?
Try selecting the drive properties and then the security tab. The drive may have lost its ownership info. Put yourself or "Everyone" as the owner and you should see the drive's contents again.

awaiting comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Hi Techno,

I am using Windows 7 as OS and right now proceeding as per your guidelines and where exactly I have to put ownership info. Reply me ASAP.
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Nov 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM
right click on ur C-drive, select properties
go to the security tab
now scroll & check the present list if ur user name is present and

if yes then click on ur user name and in the below permission list check all check boxes under the allow colum then click aplly n ok

if no then add ur account name and follow the above mentioned steps

regards

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Hi Techno,

I am using Windows 7 as OS and right now proceeding as per your guidelines and where exactly I have to put ownership info. Reply me ASAP.Keep in touch regarding this.