Switching hard drives

Solved/Closed
crispy phoenix - Jan 20, 2012 at 09:35 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 21, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Hello, crispy phoenix here. I am not sure if the problem with my screen so i have an older compac but its really slow and doesnt like to obey. So i was wondering before i go crazy and break out the scew driver. May it be possible to take the hrd drive and the memory from the vista and put it into the compac without loosing anything on the vista "pics music etc.....Help about to go into over drive over the hard drive.
Thanks

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 21, 2012 at 04:20 PM
When Windows is installed on a computer hard drive it configures itself to the hardware it finds on the motherboard. If you try to move that hard drive to another computer/motherboard it probably will not work.

One trick is to install the Vista hard drive, change the boot order to boot from the DVD drive and boot with the Vista DVD disk in the drive. Then choose the "Repair" option. After a 1/2 hour or so Windows will probably reconfigure itself to the hardware it finds on the "new" motherboard.

The memory on your Vista PC is probably not of the same type as the XP machine and will not fit.

Be advised this procedure may not be reversible.

Good Luck