No signal to monitor

Closed
Riz - Feb 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 24, 2012 at 05:43 PM
My computer started shutting down etc. So I took apart the processor heat sink and totally and carefully cleaned everything that needed attention. I applied thermal grease to the processor and installed everything back in its place.
Tried to power unit up, but am not getting any signal at all to the monitor. The cooling fan starts spinning and a green light comes on the front but thats it. No beeps heard upon power up. Any help would be appreciated.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 24, 2012 at 05:43 PM
About the only way to diagnose the problem is to plug in a special PCI board that can display the POST codes that the BIOS puts out. That's the only way to exactly identify the hardware problem.

You might try to remove all the memory cards. When you boot you should get some beeps from the motherboard. If you have more than one memory card you can try each card individually. You can also unplug the power plugs from the motherboard and reattach them.
You could also try to boot with the hard drive unplugged to see if you can get into the BIOS.

The second level of home diagnostics is to replace the power supply with a known working unit.

Good Luck