Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or

Closed
meekazhu Posts 1 Registration date Saturday June 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2012 - Jun 16, 2012 at 08:07 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 17, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Hello,

This all happened after I shut down my laptop in the afternoon. I realised that my laptop was suddenly behaving really slowly and everything was just freezing, I had my utorrent on, 40 tabs opened and my drupal local dev desktop was on.

I am having problem booting up my laptop this is the following msg.

"windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause
If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)
Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally"

Now both of these options doesnt work for me the first one just boots and I get stuck with a black screen and then the windows screen comes up and my mouse cursor appears, nothing else. Also the weird thing is, my wifi turns on aswel.

The other options just gets stuck and reboots itself. Please help me I have a website to finish by monday. And I have lots of important documents in the laptop :(. I shouldn't have been lazy backing up, although i have heard of a hdd adapter, that I can plug in to retrieve the data.
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 17, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and

keep tapping the F8 key)

2) Select the option "Last Known Good Configuration".

If you are looking to backup your files then click on the below link and follow

the instructions

https://ccm.net/faq/12607-data-backup-when-windows-failed-to-boot

Good Luck