WIN XP Wipe/Reinstall

Closed
piglette Posts 1 Registration date Saturday September 15, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 15, 2012 - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 16, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Help.
Hi!
My problem is that I am unable to install my WIN XP system onto a wiped hard drive.

After successfully wiping a borrowed hard drive which had WIN XP on in, I tried to install my own legit version of XP. I get as far as accepting the agreement but when I press F8 to continue the install, nothing further happens. I do not have recovery disks.

As the computer runs up initially, I have the options for pressing TAB or DEL. Right after that at the bottom of the next page that lists the drives, boot sequences, etc., it says "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:", I get a two word message that says "No Emulation".

Would someone please walk me through a process that would correct my dilemma. I'd really appreciate it if you could. Thanks.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 16, 2012 at 04:15 PM
That's not an error, itself.

You get that message when you boot your computer from an XP (or 2000) CD.
No Emulation = Windows 2000 and XP CDs don't emulate a floppy disk like many bootable disks do.They use a different method to make them bootable.

If the bios halts at that point, and/or if you don't, or if you do, see "Press any key to Boot from CD" or similar and the XP (or 2000) CD files will not load after that, THAT's the error.

That can be caused by.....

- the laser lens on the drive is "dirty".
Try using a laser lens cleaning CD in the drive, or if it's a laptop drive,eject the tray and when there's no disk on it, wipe off the obvious laser lens.

- there's a problem with the CD.
If the CD is scratched it may not read properly.
If it's an original CD, try booting from it on another computer.
If it's a copy of a Windows CD,
-if it's a "slipstreamed" CD it may not have been made properly - in that case it won't boot in any computer
- it may not read properly in a drive it was not made in, especially if it's not a CD-R disk. You could try booting from it on another computer, but it working in a different drive model than on your computer doesn't necessarily indicate it will work in your computer's drive.
- Does your MB have RAID Support on one set of drive headers? IF so, then put the CD drive on another header (set to master).
- did you try to set the BIOS to "fail-safe" default settings?
- did you try to hit the spacebar after seeing the message?

Good Luck