Inspiron Duo Crashed Does not Boot Up

Closed
leadpathfinder Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2012 - Dec 21, 2012 at 06:15 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Dec 25, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Hello,

I recently bought an Inspiron Duo whihc has crashed and when it books up it has a dash bar that keeps blinking on the left. Based on inputs from someone on this forum, I did the following :

1. I created a flash boot drive, started the laptop, went to F12, changed the options and I am able to boot into DOS.

2. The problem is that my Windows 7 Bootable Files are in another hard disk and when I try plugging it in while the DOS USB is plugged in, I am unable to access the second USB drive.

3. Can anyone advise how can I fix this problem.

Best

Rohit
Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 22, 2012 at 02:43 AM
Hi Rohit,

Please reply with a little more clarification on the issue. I would like to know if you are trying to install Windows using USB pen drive. If so, in your reply please include which version of Windows you want to install.

Please do write back to us.
leadpathfinder Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2012
Dec 22, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Hi Zohaib,

I am installing Windows 7 Home Premium (which was the OEM installed version). I have a seagate 1 TB Freeagent Desk Drive in which I have copied the OEM Bootable version.

I have parallely made another USB bootable pen drive through which I am booting up. It boots up thereafter I am trying to identify the Freeagent Desk Drive and it does not recognize the same. I am thinking could it be a problem with the Free Agent Drive which is different than a portable drive or could be that there is another problem.

Many thanks in advance.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 22, 2012 at 06:33 AM
Hi Rohit,

As your external Hard Drive is not bootable you cannot access it from the command prompt. The fastest and easiest way of making a bootable USB pen drive for installing Windows 7 is by using "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool". You can download this tool from:

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

You can find steps on how to make a bootable USB pen drive to install Windows 7 from here:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

Please reply if you have any further questions.
Hi Zohaib,

I am able to commence the installation of Windows 7 but now hit a new road block. During installtion it asks for the drivers. I have copied a dump of all the drivers from Dell Site (for DUO) and when I plug it in, it says that the drivers are not suitable.

Is there a specific sequence of drivers that I need to download to finish the installation.

The error I get is that windows is missing some drivers and if you have a CD/DVD/Disk please insert it now, when I do it with all the drivers it doesnt get anywhere.

Many thanks for your assistance so far and hopefully with a little more help I will be able to get by.

Best

Rohit

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 25, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Hi Rohit,

If you are getting the below mentioned error:

"Load Driver ... A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. ...Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"

Check the below mentioned link for steps on how to fix this error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2755139/a-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing-or-a-required-cd-dvd-dri

Please reply if you have any further questions.