Transferring external hard drive into computer, not recognized

Closed
notunctioning Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday January 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2013 - Jan 22, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Hello,

I have a WD 2 TB external hard drive that, a few months ago, lost it's USB port. It snapped right off. I bought a new casing and plugged it in only for it to not work. It showed up in my Device Manager, but the icon was opaque and un-clickable. Following the advice from a Best Buy employee, I finally tried putting it directly into my computer so I can get the data. I used some parts from my old computer.

The drive shows up in my Device Manager and it shows that the data is still there. My problem is with allocating/partitioning/assigning a letter. Everything I read online indicates that I will have to wipe it clean in order for it to be read properly and for it to be usable. I do not want to lose all 2TB of data so i am desperate. Is there any way to access the data without having to wipe it?

I am going to try to get to a repair shop tomorrow, but I figure that since I am up and in the middle of this I could see if anyone can help. Is it possible to do on my own or should I just let the pro handle it?
Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 22, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Hi,

It seems the problem originally started with the snapping of the USB port on the Hard Drive. If the hard drive is detected in the Device Manager you can assign a drive letter to it without formatting it. You can try doing it to as a fix. Check the below mentioned link for details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Do reply with results.
notunctioning Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday January 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2013
Jan 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I followed the instructions given, however here is no option to change file path or letter. Disk 0 has this option, but I know that is my OS and everything. The color of the top of the box for Disk 1 is black and it says 'unallocated'. When I right click the bigger box that shows the amount of data, the only options that I can click are Properties and Help. The other 3 are not clickable and include New Simple, Spanned and Striped Volume. When I right-click the box saying Disk 1, it gives me Initialize, Offline, Properties and Help.