Trying to recover data from failing hard drive

Solved/Closed
Iustin - Feb 2, 2013 at 05:31 PM
kevinbadpit Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2013 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Hello,

I have a 500gb WD Scorpio Blue that I got from a friend. I hooked it up to a external adapter. It got a couple million bad sectors to the end of the hard drive but the first hundred GB were absolutely fine. So I made a 100 GB partition at the beginning of the hard drive and thought that I will make small partitions, scan them and concatenate them to the first partition if they have no problems.
But I did not get to do that. I postponed that until I would fill the first partition. I used about 20 gb of it on a IBM laptop running windows XP SP3 and it worked fine. Once I connected the hard drive to a HP running windows 7 and it showed a message that the hard drive needs to be formatted. I cancelled and unplugged the drive and since then on the IBM it didn't show up in My Computer, only if i started the laptop with the drive plugged in. I didn't use the hard drive for a couple of weeks, now when I connected it it said delayed write failed and it did not show any files, I re-connected it and it said 0 bytes used, 0 bytes total size on the first partition.
Back on the HP laptop it shows the other partitions, but the partition where I have my files is shown in my computer at other devices with a "?" in the icon. It also says that the filesystem is RAW.

When I try to format one of the partitions, Windows Explorer stops responding.

I guess Windows 7 screwed something up on the hard drive maybe the filesystem and after that it told me to format it, happened to me with a usb stick before.

Please tell me how can I recover my files as file recovery software seem to load forever even if they recognize my HDD. Thanks in advance.

3 responses

gary george Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 21, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2013
Feb 21, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Hi..
If you are the person, who is hard drive has become raw due to any of the reasons. You can make use of the recovery software available online in order to recover files from raw hard drive.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 6, 2013 at 09:26 AM
Hi Iustin,

There is a software by the name "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" this can help you recover data in most of the damaged Hard Drive Scenarios (the damage should not be physical). You can try using this software. You can read about "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" and also download it from the below mentioned link:

http://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-hard-drive-data.htm

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
I managed to recover all of the files with EASEUS Data Recovery but all of them were unreadable. I restarted the computer planning to try again with different settings. I plugged in the ext. HDD in the computer and very strange.. the partitions showed up. I managed to recover everything using copy+paste. Thank you very much for the support.
kevinbadpit Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2013
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Hi Iustin,
I am also looking to recover data from raw disk, Is this possible to recover by using the software that you have used in your case. If yes, can you please tell me how can I get this software.