Belkin has green light on computer screen but no internet

Closed
soapmom - Feb 19, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Feb 25, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Hello,

To CONFUSED and RENEE: Did you guys ever resolve this problem? I am having the same identical problem. I have a desktop and a netbook connected and working perfectly with my Belkin router but my laptop (that used to work fine on this same Belkin router until I unplugged it and took it on a trip with me) keeps saying its connected with its green icon on the screen, however it will not connect to the internet. I've tried everything I have found listed on this forum. I do not think it is a Windows XP or a Windows 7 problem because my desktop is a XP and my netbook is a Windows 7 and they both work fine. This computer used to work fine as well on this same Belkin router. They are all Dell computers as well.

Related:

6 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 19, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Greetings,

I have refered your issue to our inhouse Dell Certified contributor and expert Zohaib R.

I beleive he should get online as soon as he goes in his office in the morning.

I am positive that he will be able to solve the issue.

Best regards

Ambucias
Moderator and Security Contributor
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 20, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Hi soapmom,

It is recommended to use for wireless connections the settings mentioned in the below link :

https://www.dell.com/fr-fr

However, Belkin router does have issues with recognizing the difference between WPA=PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) and WPA-AES. You may have to try using WEP Security or NO security and see if you can connect.

Please revert for clarification.
This did not fix anything. It is not the Belkin router. It is with the Dell computer. The Belkin works on my other three Dell computers and every computer that comes to my home with my other children. Have had nothing but problems out of all the Dell computers. Their problems are never easy to fix either. I waste more time working on these computers than I do accomplishing anything on them. Meanwhile the computer says its connected but I cannot log on to the internet,
If any out there have any suggestions.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 22, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Hi soapmom,

You can try the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and this will help us to isolate the issue:

1. If the notebook has Windows 7, right-click the network icon in the notification area of your taskbar, and then click Troubleshoot problems else follow the next steps.
2. Check the Distance: If more than 30 feet - It's the distance and Interference issue. Move computer closer to wireless router. If cannot move closer, consider buying Wireless range expander or External antenna.
3. Check if we can connect to any other available network (other than one from Belkin Router). If Yes with a Good Signal. Issue is with the router.
4. Change the Advanced card properties. Please check this link to find details about Advanced card properties: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/wlan/en/UG_EN/props.htm#toc_70
5. Change the wireless channels in the Advanced card properties to 11 or 6.
6. Disable Bluetooth Collaboration also in Advanced card properties.
7. Update Wireless card drivers and BIOS from support dell.com site using wired connection. (http://support.dell.com) using wired connection.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Do reply with results.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
1.) I had aleady checked the distance and that was not an issue.
2.) I cannot connect to any available networks but my 2 other computers can and they pick up on the Belkin as well. In fact, I have the computer I am using at the moment right beside the one that will not log on to the internet.
3.)I disabled the bluetooth
4.) I have windows xp not windows 7
5.) Still have no internet access
Feb 25, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Hi Soapmom,

Please reply with the exact System Model Number of your Dell Laptop which has the problem. In addition to the troubleshooting we have tried so far, please uninstall and then reinstall the Wireless Card Drivers. You can download the Drivers for the wireless card from our support site:

http://support.dell.com/

Also, check the wireless card functionality in "Safe Mode with Networking".

Please do write back to us.