Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Thank you
Hi ayumba,

I use the below mentioned method to format my pen drive from command prompt:

1. Shutdown the computer.
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your computer.
3. Power on the computer and then immediately start tapping (F8) key then "Advanced Boot Options" screen will come up.
4. Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
5. After booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then type:
G: and press enter
6. Then type:
format G: and press enter
7. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
8. Now a full format will start.

We are booting the computer to Safe Mode in steps 3-4 so as to override any existing format-restrictions in Normal Mode of Windows.

Note: All the files in the Pen Drive will be removed after Format, so please backup all the data in the Pen Drive before formatting (if possible).

Do reply with results.

Say "Thank you" 12

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2905 users this month

Thank you
when " format H: " was entered it had replied that 'format is not recognized as any batch file'
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Certified CCM Contributor
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Thank you
Hi there,

Have a look at this topic http://ccm.net/faq/14288-windows-xp-format-a-pendrive-in-command-line? I would double check the command syntax and look for permission issues.

Hope this helps
Thank you
hello there,
I tried formatting my flash drive using the above method but i received an error saying "the specified cluster size is too big for FAT kindly advice on further action.
Thank you.
Registration date
Thursday May 28, 2015
Last seen
May 28, 2015
Thank you
Formatting pen drive using command prompt in Windows PC can be the most appropriate way for you if you want to full format your pen drive but unable to format pen drive using the normal method. Here's how:

- At first, connect Pen Drive to your PC and not down the etter assigned to the USB flash drive (whether it's J: or G: or H:)
- press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type cmd then press Enter
- Next, type format /q /x H: (here, the letter "H" is the drive name. You need to replace "H" with your drive name) command in command prompt and press Enter.
- Now, It will display a message, so again press Enter.

You can get more detailed information from here - http://www.zerodollartips.com/format-pen-drive-command-prompt-windows/
Yes it Worked Perfectly
Disk unusable format failed, that's the reply I had when I tried using the stated cmd line