I can't see any icons on my desktop or download anything on pc

Closed
fassie912 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday May 21, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2013 - May 21, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 22, 2013 at 05:16 PM
For the last 2 days or so I have been fighting some Trojan virus on my PC. After I downloaded Malwarebytes, Rogue killer etc I think I got rid of it however now I can't see any icons (in Normal Startup) and in Safe Mode with networking I can't download anything, although I can see the icons. Also in safe mode with networking I can go on Google Chrome. but only if I right click and select open. If I double click it doesn't open. Internet Explorer doesn't open at all so I'm assuming the issue is with Windows. My OS is Windows XP 32-bit. I don't have my installation cd from Dell and I can't find the version of XP to redo everything. In addition it seems all the programs on my pc have been deleted because when I go to Start and click on any of the programs it says "empty". Help!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 21, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Please follow these steps to get your icons back:

reboot your computer in the Safe mode with command prompt.

Once Windows loaded, command prompt (black window) opens. Type notepad and press Enter.

A notepad window opens. Type the following text into notepad:

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Myantispyware.com

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=regsec

[regsec]
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0
HKLM, Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,Shell,0x00000020,"Explorer.exe"

Save this as fix.inf to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad). Close Notepad.

In the command prompt type Explorer.exe and Press Enter. Windows Explorer opens. Locate the fix.inf, click right button and select Install. Close Windows Explorer.

In the command prompt type shutdown -r and press Enter. Your computer will be rebooted.

Let me know
fassie912 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday May 21, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2013
May 22, 2013 at 07:58 AM
I did everything you suggested and it still didn't work. I think virus is still on the computer because my computer keeps jumping to other web pages when I open up a website with Google Chrome. Also this Weatherbug app showed up right around when my computer started acting up. When I try to uninstall it it says "the Windows installer could not be found" or something. I also can't get unto Internet Explorer or any of the programs loaded on my desktop by double clicking the icon. Also when I go to "Start" Programs, when I scroll over any of the programs in the Start Menu, they say "Empty". Does that mean nothing is loading on the computer when I download them?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 22, 2013 at 05:16 PM
To help you and precribe a remedy, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a log.

1. Boot in safemode with networking.

2. Open this link and download ZHPDiag2 :

https://www.zebulon.fr/telechargements/securite/systeme/zhpdiag.html

(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message. )

3. Save the file on your Desktop.

4. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

the tool creates three icons ZHPDiag, MRB, and ZHPFix (If necessary,we will use ZHPFix at the next step).

5. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

6. Click on the eyedropper icon and ensure all of the items.

7. Click on the Magnifying glass with the + sign and run the analysys.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

8. Close ZHPDiag.

9. To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

10. Usually on your desktop or C:\Program Files\ZHPDiag).

11. Select the file ZHPDiag.txt.

12. Click on "upload »

13. Copy the url and post it here

Best regards

Ambucias
Moderator, Security Contributor