Issues with USB drive

Closed
TedSosnicki Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday May 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2013 - May 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 22, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Hi have a 32gb HP USB stick that I use for all my work data and although I try to back it up every month I have been overwhelmed with demands and failed to back it for the past 5 months. It was working just fine and one day last week I plugged it in to do some work and it did not open normally. I went to My Computer and saw the drive, double clicked on it to open it and got an error stating the drive was not formatted, did I want to format. I of course selected NO. I tried the stick on multiple other PC's with XP Pro which is the main OS I have been using and I tried it on a Vista and Windows 7 OS but still no joy. Get the same error every time.
I ran into this once before several years ago and was able to recover all the data but cannot recall what had to be done. I really need to recover the data as there is months of critical data and work on it.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
May 22, 2013 at 06:13 PM
This type issue could be caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and hard disk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

Download UsbFix (created by El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

http://ccm.net/download/download-24089-usbfix

If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
Plug in your usb devices (Flash drive, pen drive. External HD etc...) don't open them.
Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

Click on deletion
Let the tool work.

At the end of the scan a report will show which you can copy and paste here..

The report is save at the root ( C:\UsbFix.txt ).

You can also vaccinate against any virus.