-
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020
-
Hello,
The question I have may be very easy for the other users but it is hard and very difficult for me because I am a computer dummy. In my honest opinion, this forum helps dummies like me to learn and save.

A few days ago, my machine had a sound problem and I was very glad to fix it by following the steps provided by a user at this forum. My happiness did not last for a long becuse of my ignorance. I tried to open torrent file with a torrent program and unfortunately this action of mine changed the entire picture of my desktop. All the icons changed to that program and to resolve the problem of file association, I uninstalled the program but it did not do anything except to make the situation worst. Whenever I try to run a program, a window "OPEN WITH" appears on the screen, that forces me to turn off my computer. I tried to resolve the sitution through this forum but it did not help me at all because I can't open or install any program , no matter what the "OPEN WITH" window pops up. Please note that I can not even open my internet browser or go to Dos cmd. I tried to follow the steps provided in the solutions by other users on this site but nothing was helpful.

It is greatly appreciated and I will be very thankful to anyone who can help me because I am a retiree and got stuck in Thailand for a while. I can't go to a computer repair store because nobody understands or speaks English. Therefore this is the only place where I can get answers and please make sure that you explain the procedures in detail because I may not understand due to lack of computers knowledge. Thanks a lot in advance and my GOD bless and help you in every step of life, Amen.

5 replies

Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Let us know the Operating System you are using.
Good Luck
Registration date
Wednesday May 29, 2013
Status
Last seen
May 29, 2013

Hi Jack,
Good to hear from you and as far as the system is concerned please note that my machine has Window 7 (Professional) operating system. I am very sorry not to mention it in my intial post, actually I had it in my mind but forgot to inculde in my message because of rush due to an amergency. Anyways once again I'm very sorry for the missing information.

Just to let you know a little bit more about the problem, I created another account under a different name on the same laptop and the machine allows me to open all the program but it did not resolve the problem because I don't have access to my data under the old account and it is very difficult for me to move everything to another partition.

Jack, I am glad that you took interest and accepted the challenge of resolving the issue and appreciate it a lot, please help.

Thanks a lot.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,

Try this 1

Go to your previous account and follow the below instructions.

First backup your registry.

Click on Start --> In search bar, type regedt32 and press Enter.

"Registry Editor" will be opened. Click on "File" --> Export --> Save the file

with any name in your desired location.

Click on the below hyperlinks "Fix" and download the file

Fix

Double-click on it and click on "Yes". Restart your PC.

[Note : Above given "Fix" is for "Windows 7 OS"]

The reason why you are not able to access the data from your new account may

be because of the permissions. Your new account might not have the permission

to access those. Follow the above instructions or I will let you know how to

add permission to your data.

Good Luck
I thought this is the best forum to address computer related issues and get them fixed but unfortunately nobody helped me and I am still in limbo. A gentleman tried to help me but we lost contact because of some unknown reasons.

As I described in my original message, I have a Samsung R423 lap to running with Windows 7 Prof 32 bit operating-system operating system]. It was my ignorance that I tried to open a torrent file with a torrent program from a torrent site. Since then my computer is messed up and it is very difficult for me to operate my computer normally. I created another account and abandoned the original account to get my work done. I have a little bearable problem but I am curious to know why and how it happened and how it can be fixed. Please note that I can not do anything under old account except to open WORD/EXCEL/PDF files. Nothing else can be done, no software can't be run and if I try to open e.g a dictionary software a window "OPEN WITH " list of a couple of program icons appears on the screen. I don't know what-to-do what to do] and ask the honorable members of this forum to help me. Thanks a lot.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
Have you tired that above given solution? You should have given the feedback whether the above solution worked for you or not. Sir, without any feedback, how could we know whether you are still facing the issue or not.
First try the above given solution.
Click on the below hyperlink "Fix 2" and download it.
Fix 2
Follow the above same instructions regarding executing the Fix 2 file.
Are you looking to access the data in your older account. Does the Access Denied message is appearing when trying to access it? Please provide the information to help you in this.
Good Luck
Please note that nothing works under old account and this forced me to create another account but logging on to new account does not give me the liberty to access my old data. Regarding solution, please also note that I tried everything whatever was suggested to me but unfortunately nothing worked. Honestly speaking nothing can be done, I can't touch anything means if I click any program icon, the OPEN WITH windows pops up. I can't back up Registry, Log on to Internet or Open any program etc.

As far as the feedback is concerned, please note that I replied to the message I received. After that nobody contacted me in follow up to resolve this issue, therefore I surrendered and zipped up my mouth for a while. But later I realized that this is not a proper approach, people learn at this forum and help others. Therefore I should explain my problem once again and may be I get a good news from someone. Please help me if you can in resolving this issue. Regards and thanks.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
Let me know the error message you are getting when trying to access your older user account files\folders. Does it says access denied ? Is your important files only in C-Drive or its in other drives also.
Lets first try to access those files. Provide me with the error message.
Meanwhile I will try my best to try to find the fix for the issue also.
Good Luck
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me and for your info I don't get any error message at all except a pop up window "OPEN WITH" appears on the screen. If for my curosity "what happens next", I click the program to be opened with from the list, it throws me off and takes to the Microsoft website of File Association. That forces me to stop and shut down the system.

As far as the data is concerned it is scattered all over, I mean a 3 partition hard drive of 500 GB has a lot of stuff which include movies, music, photos and softwares etc. For your information that is safe & sound and I have no problem in playing movies and music. The only problem is that I can not execute and install any program on C drive under old account but I can uninstall any program without any problem.

Thank you very much for helping me in this regard.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
You said that the new account doesn't give you the liberty to access that data.
Try to activate the administrator account from your newer account.
Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd. When "Command Prompt" appears in the search list, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".
"Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below command.
net user administrator /active:yes --> Press Enter.
Now "Log Off" --> Now you can notice an account "Administrator" --> Select that account.
Note: Set the password for the "Administrator" account.
To disable the account, once again open the command prompt from the other user account and enter the command as
net user administrator /active:no --> Press Enter.
Now check if you are able to access your old account data.
Good Luck
Jack, the problem is old account not the new, no program can be opened under this account. If I click on a saved office file, the information pop up on the screen right away without any problem but if an icon of program i.e "dictionary or internet explorer is clicked, I face a hell of problems, the pop up windows "open with" appears on the screen, on the bottom of that screen an address of Microsoft regarding file association is listed. I click on that link that takes me to Microsoft Website, from there I open a new tab of goole to check my mail. I want to avoid all this, I hope you understand what I'm talking about, no matter what, I gotta find a solution for this headache.

The main concern is "PRIVACY". For your information, this computer is shared by another person, therefore two accounts are created. Sometimes the other user uses this machine too to go on internet to check mail and I don't want the other user to mess with up my stuff.

I have no problms of files at all, I can copy the files on USB and transfer them to my account easily but this won't solve the problem. If the problem is not solved, the other user will continue using my account and the user can invade my privacy. I don't want to give the user any week point of mine that can ignite the environment. Therefore, please look for the soution (if you can) in the light of my what I stated above.

I have an easy sloution but I don't want to do that because it won't teach me anything, actually I want to learn and help others who don't know the easy solution.

Thanks.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,
Try this 1
Sorry for the late reply. Now I understood about the user accounts. Can you please provide me the error messages that you are getting. The complete error message when trying to open any application or internet explorer. I will try to find the solution for you. Are you able to open the "Registry Editor", command prompt?
Good Luck

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!