Unable to open anyfile

Closed
mnbaig Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2013 - May 29, 2013 at 07:04 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 5, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Hello,
The question I have may be very easy for the other users but it is hard and very difficult for me because I am a computer dummy. In my honest opinion, this forum helps dummies like me to learn and save.

A few days ago, my machine had a sound problem and I was very glad to fix it by following the steps provided by a user at this forum. My happiness did not last for a long becuse of my ignorance. I tried to open torrent file with a torrent program and unfortunately this action of mine changed the entire picture of my desktop. All the icons changed to that program and to resolve the problem of file association, I uninstalled the program but it did not do anything except to make the situation worst. Whenever I try to run a program, a window "OPEN WITH" appears on the screen, that forces me to turn off my computer. I tried to resolve the sitution through this forum but it did not help me at all because I can't open or install any program , no matter what the "OPEN WITH" window pops up. Please note that I can not even open my internet browser or go to Dos cmd. I tried to follow the steps provided in the solutions by other users on this site but nothing was helpful.

It is greatly appreciated and I will be very thankful to anyone who can help me because I am a retiree and got stuck in Thailand for a while. I can't go to a computer repair store because nobody understands or speaks English. Therefore this is the only place where I can get answers and please make sure that you explain the procedures in detail because I may not understand due to lack of computers knowledge. Thanks a lot in advance and my GOD bless and help you in every step of life, Amen.

5 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 29, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Hello,
Let us know the Operating System you are using.
Good Luck
mnbaig Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2013
May 29, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Hi Jack,
Good to hear from you and as far as the system is concerned please note that my machine has Window 7 (Professional) operating system. I am very sorry not to mention it in my intial post, actually I had it in my mind but forgot to inculde in my message because of rush due to an amergency. Anyways once again I'm very sorry for the missing information.

Just to let you know a little bit more about the problem, I created another account under a different name on the same laptop and the machine allows me to open all the program but it did not resolve the problem because I don't have access to my data under the old account and it is very difficult for me to move everything to another partition.

Jack, I am glad that you took interest and accepted the challenge of resolving the issue and appreciate it a lot, please help.

Thanks a lot.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 29, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Go to your previous account and follow the below instructions.

First backup your registry.

Click on Start --> In search bar, type regedt32 and press Enter.

"Registry Editor" will be opened. Click on "File" --> Export --> Save the file

with any name in your desired location.

Click on the below hyperlinks "Fix" and download the file

Fix

Double-click on it and click on "Yes". Restart your PC.

[Note : Above given "Fix" is for "Windows 7 OS"]

The reason why you are not able to access the data from your new account may

be because of the permissions. Your new account might not have the permission

to access those. Follow the above instructions or I will let you know how to

add permission to your data.

Good Luck
I thought this is the best forum to address computer related issues and get them fixed but unfortunately nobody helped me and I am still in limbo. A gentleman tried to help me but we lost contact because of some unknown reasons.

As I described in my original message, I have a Samsung R423 lap to running with Windows 7 Prof 32 bit operating-system operating system]. It was my ignorance that I tried to open a torrent file with a torrent program from a torrent site. Since then my computer is messed up and it is very difficult for me to operate my computer normally. I created another account and abandoned the original account to get my work done. I have a little bearable problem but I am curious to know why and how it happened and how it can be fixed. Please note that I can not do anything under old account except to open WORD/EXCEL/PDF files. Nothing else can be done, no software can't be run and if I try to open e.g a dictionary software a window "OPEN WITH " list of a couple of program icons appears on the screen. I don't know what-to-do what to do] and ask the honorable members of this forum to help me. Thanks a lot.
Jun 24, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Have you tired that above given solution? You should have given the feedback whether the above solution worked for you or not. Sir, without any feedback, how could we know whether you are still facing the issue or not.
First try the above given solution.
Click on the below hyperlink "Fix 2" and download it.
Fix 2
Follow the above same instructions regarding executing the Fix 2 file.
Are you looking to access the data in your older account. Does the Access Denied message is appearing when trying to access it? Please provide the information to help you in this.
Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Please note that nothing works under old account and this forced me to create another account but logging on to new account does not give me the liberty to access my old data. Regarding solution, please also note that I tried everything whatever was suggested to me but unfortunately nothing worked. Honestly speaking nothing can be done, I can't touch anything means if I click any program icon, the OPEN WITH windows pops up. I can't back up Registry, Log on to Internet or Open any program etc.

As far as the feedback is concerned, please note that I replied to the message I received. After that nobody contacted me in follow up to resolve this issue, therefore I surrendered and zipped up my mouth for a while. But later I realized that this is not a proper approach, people learn at this forum and help others. Therefore I should explain my problem once again and may be I get a good news from someone. Please help me if you can in resolving this issue. Regards and thanks.
Jun 25, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Don't worry I will try my best to help you in this.
Create a system restore point from your new account. Download the "Fix" and "Fix 1" files from your new account. Create a folder called "Files" on your desktop. Now extract "Fix" and "Fix1" files and copy those files in newly created folder "Files". Now Copy that newly created folder "Files"to your C drive. Now log in to your old account, open the C drive --> Open that newly created folder "Files" --> Double-click on the "fix" --> Click on "Run" --> Yes --> OK. Now double-click on "Fix 1" --> Run --> Yes --> OK.
If you still having a problem in accessing the drive then let me know number of drives you have apart from C drive.
Good Luck
Hi,
Thank you very much for showing interest, will and gesture to solve this issue and believe me or not I appreciate it a lot because in a materialist world, it's very hard to find someone like you.

As directed by you, I created the restore point, folder on the desktop of my new account but got stuck on the point of downloading of FIX & FIX 1. I had the downloaded copy of FIX from the link provided by you in your previous message but could not open (extract) it. As far as the downloading of FIX 1 is concerned, I was not lucky enough to download it. I would appreciate it a lot if you please provide the link for download of FIX 1 because I could not get it due to my confusion because of the name and the version. Since I am an ignorant about this stuff therefore I don't want to take chances and mess up things. So, please help me as you are doing it already. Thanks again.
Jun 27, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
First download the files "Fix 1" and "Fix 2" from the below hyperlinks
Fix 1
Fix 2
First double-click on the "Fix 1" --> Click on "Run" --> Yes --> OK.
Now double-click on "Fix 2" --> Run --> Yes --> OK.
Note : The above fix is for Windows 7 OS
Good Luck
Hey Jack,
It does not matter if the problem is resolved or not but let me say what is in my heart about you. Honestly speaking, I would say WOW what a man Jack is? you are a man of your kind and in my opinion someone can hardly beat the characteristics you have. A person I came across after years. Man you must be very good, a person who feels the pain of others regardless of anything and no matter what if he helps others for fun, knowledge or anything else because in this materialistic world people have an excuse of time which automatically leads to money. This is immaterial for me because I think if a person can help someone, should help no matter what. Just keep up the good work and God willing you will be recompensed one day.

Just to let you know about the development in resolving the issue, I followed your instructions thoroughly and very carefully but sorry to say that it did not move a bit. I don't know what to do but I do appreciate your efforts. Hopefully, we will get it resolved. Thanks again.
Sorry to bother you again, I forgot to tell you that I have Samsung R432, 32 bit machine running Windows7 Professional operating system with 2GHZ CPU+2GB RAM+ 3 portions of hard drive C+D & E.

I hope this will provide you enough information about the system but if you need more, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.