CPU works but doesn't display [Solved/Closed]

birukadu
Registration date
Monday July 22, 2013
Last seen
October 30, 2013
- Jul 22, 2013 at 04:55 AM - Latest reply:  birukadu
- Jul 26, 2013 at 07:57 AM
the cup works but the monitor doesnt display. I try by changing VGA cable and the monitor too. but still doesnt work. I can access the computer on the network thru remote desktop. and finally I restore it to 5 days before. after that I cant even access it from remot but I can ping that PC. any help

thanks
See more 

11 replies

Best answer
jack4rall
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 22, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Thank you
Hello,

Try this 1

If you notice that your CPU fan is running but there is no display in the screen,

then remove the RAM from the slot, clean it and place it back properly or try

another slot.

If you have no idea about RAM, then click on the below hyperlinks "Images".

RAM

Removing a RAM

Check your RAM also. Even bad RAM will result in display problem.

If you are having two RAMs then remove it, place only one RAM and check the

display. If you failed to get any display then change the slot. If you still failed to

get the display then try the above procedure with the other RAM.

Good Luck

Thank you, jack4rall 4

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1615 users this month

Zohaib R
Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Last seen
July 16, 2018
- Jul 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Thank you
Hi birukadu,

"2 blinks followed by a short pause, 1 blink, long pause, then repeats", this pattern indicates "Bad Motherboard". The motherboard in the computer needs to be replaced.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
birukadu
Registration date
Monday July 22, 2013
Last seen
October 30, 2013
- Jul 23, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Thank you
hello again, I try to reset CMOS setting by remove for 30 mins. then when I plug the power cable the fan start automatically as always but it continue restarting for several times by itself b4 I press start button.
i shut the PC down forcefully and try to start I gain for few times, but finally the PC stop start (like dead) the fan also stop. only the power on button blinks red light. even after I remove the power cable, the red light blinks for around 30 sec.
and when I touch some external part of the PC it has a little shock.
this is not the first time when I try to change the hardware, I always discharge myself b4 making any change. this is so strange to me
tnx again
jack4rall
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 23, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
1)Regarding the little shock, click on the below hyperlink "Grounding".
You can find all the information.
Grounding
2) Remove all the connections from the motherboard, remove all the dust from it and make sure that there is no dust underneath of motherboard also. Then connect your connections.
Good Luck
birukadu
Registration date
Monday July 22, 2013
Last seen
October 30, 2013
- Jul 22, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Thank you
hi again, I tried all u said but still doesn't work. I used 3 different RAMs on all 4 slots one by one (by the way the PC is Dell Optiplex 7010) even I plug the jumper but no response.

the fun is ok, no beep sound... but no display

tnx again
Zohaib R
Registration date
Last seen
July 16, 2018
- Jul 22, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Thank you
Hi birukadu,

The OptiPlex 7010 supports either integrated graphics or add-in graphics card. What is the graphics option in your machine? If you have add-in graphics card, please try to re-seat the video card and check if you can obtain video on the screen. Refer to the Service Manual for Safety Instructions and removal steps.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Zohaib R
Registration date
Last seen
July 16, 2018
- Jul 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Thank you
Hi birukadu,

You have mentioned that the Power button is blinking red, this indicates a failure condition indeed. The power LED always blinks in a pattern. The pattern is 2 or 3 blinks followed by a short pause then X number of blinks up to 7. The repeated pattern has a long pause inserted in the middle. Example 2, 3 = 2 amber blinks, short pause, 3 amber blinks followed by long pause then repeats. Please reply with the exact pattern that you observe.

birukadu
Registration date
Monday July 22, 2013
Last seen
October 30, 2013
- Jul 24, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Thank you
on my PC, 2 blinks followed by 2 sec pause then 1 blink. it repeats until I remove the power cable. after I remove the power cable the blink continues for around 30 sec also

really tnx for ur help
Thank you
thanks all for everything, I send the PC to supplier for further service bcoz there is 1 yr guarantee.

thanks again!!
birukadu
Registration date
Monday July 22, 2013
Last seen
October 30, 2013
- Jul 22, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Thank you
tnx Zohaib R,
the PC uses integrated graphics card. there is no add-in card. this computer works around six month only
jack4rall
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Try to reset your CMOS settings.
Turn off your PC and remove the power chord --> Open the cabinet --> Remove the CMOS battery for 15-30 minutes and then put it back properly. Now plug the power cord back in and switch ON your PC.
Click on the below hyperlink "CMOS Battery" if you don't have any idea about the CMOS battery
CMOS Battery
If the problem still exist, click on the below link and follow the instructions in "Hardware Reset".
http://ccm.net/faq/1192-lost-password-resetting-the-bios
Good Luck