Unable to add 2nd HDD

Closed
rderman611 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 21, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 21, 2013 - Aug 21, 2013 at 07:34 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 21, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Hello,

I had a Maxtor One Touch that when I tried to access it through My Computer, was asking me if i wanted to Format the Drive. I was hesitant to do this because I didn't want to lose all of the data stored on it. I ended up taking the HDD out and trying to directly add it to my PC as an Internal Drive, as after all its just a Seagate HDD in the box.

I have connected the drive internally, but I am not able to get the BIOS to recognize the drive. I have double checked that the power/data cables work, and that the port is active and working. When I boot up my computer it says that drive is not recognized.

The drive itself seems to be humming, so I am assuming that it is spinning.

I believe that the factor settings for my primary drive is to be in Raid 0.

The only thing I can think of is that either the raid settings, or the maybe the drive controller is not active for that port? Either way, I cant seem to figure out how to fix that. How do I get the Bios to recognize my 2nd drive? All I am looking to do is be able to access the files on that drive. After that, setting it up as internal storage is all I would want it for.

I am running XP SP3. Any help would be appreciated.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 21, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Forget the RAID settings. You need to pair two drives together before you can have a RAID setting. In any case it will not affect the status of a newly found hard drive.

Most likely your external hard drive has failed. Otherwise, your BIOS would automatically identify it the first time you turned on the PC.

I just tried to do the same thing with a WD external drive and had the same results. When I put a new WD drive in the old external case it started to work. When I tried the old (removed) WD in two computers it would not work in either. These external drives take a beating and often fail early.