I got given an acer travel mate laptop..it says NTLDR

Closed
nixter1 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday December 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2013 - Dec 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM
 nixter1 - Dec 20, 2013 at 09:10 PM
can anyone please ggive some advice or links as to how to fix this laptop ..when i turn it on it says NTLDR is missing..i have a workin pc i can use to download and put onto usb or disk, i have looked around for some downloads but none seem to work , i can not afford to get a professional or buy disks so was hoping i can get free downloads
Related:

8 responses

Blocked Profile
Dec 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Ok, well what OS? If you are talking about win2000 support for that ended....as in...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/troubleshoot-ntldr-is-missing-error

As far as getting the build disk, that cost nothing as long as your license is valid....

... I can help with possible rebuild if you have a disk, or a usb or something....

...as I would hope you are not looking for an O/S here, that would be contrary to the charter you agreed to.

Please post back with any problems you may have with the link above.....it has step by step on how to rebuild your disk.

post back!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 19, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Hello,

ac3mark, please permit to add few lines. NTLDR missing message appears

with Windows XP also.

Copy the missing file from your Windows XP CD.

Try this 1

1) Set the first booting device to CD/DVD-drive in CMOS settings.

2) Place the Windows XP CDin the CD/DVD-drive.

3) When a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, just press any key.

4) When Windows XP Setup screen appears, press R to enter Recovery Console.

5) If you have installed Windows XP in C drive then press 1 and then Enter.

6) Enter the password and then press "Enter"

7) Now command prompt appears

C:\WINDOWS>

8) enter these commands

cd \ and then press enter.

Now command prompt changes to C:\>

9) Here I assume your CD\DVD drive as G drive that contain your Windows XP

CD. Enter the below command

g: --> Press Enter.

Now your prompt changes to the G drive as G:\>

9) Now enter below command

cd i386 --> Press Enter.

Now the command prompt changes to G:\i386>

Now type the below command

copy ntldr C: --> Press Enter.

"1 file(s) copied" message appears.

Now type the below command

copy NTDETECT.COM C: --> Press Enter.

"1 file(s) copied" message appears.

10) Now type exist and press Enter ---> It will restart your PC.

(Note : After restart change the first boot device to harddisk or remove the

Windows XP CD from the CD/DVD drive or when it asks you to "Press any key to

boot from CD..."don't press any key at the moment.)

Good Luck
nixter1 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday December 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2013
Dec 19, 2013 at 03:22 PM
ive been told it did have windows 7 on it..please forgive me if ive asked for something im not allowed as im complete noob with computers..i do have one disk friend gave to me its a windows xp professional series 2 is that what i would use ?
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 19, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Hello,
Is your operating system "Windows XP"? Are you using dual OS(Windows XP + Windows 7) ?
Good Luck
nixter1 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday December 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2013
Dec 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM
i really dont know..i got no way as to find out. i was told it had windows 7
Dec 19, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Hello,
When you stat your laptop, does it says Windows XP or Windows 7.
Click on the below hyperlink "Windows XP Logo".
Windows XP Logo
Click on the below hyperlink "Windows 7 Logo".
Windows 7 Logo
Let us know if you can recall the logo that you have seen before when booting into OS.
Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 19, 2013 at 03:59 PM
it was the windows 7 ... i feel i may have changed to many things now through the bios..
Dec 19, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) When you switch ON your laptop, keep tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key).
[Note: If you are still not sure about the OS then here you can find whether its Windows XP or Windows 7 by looking at the title. Moreover Windows XP doesn't have the "Startup Repair"]
2) Select the option "Last Known Good Configuration".
If the problem still exists then follow the Step 1 and then select the option "Repair Your Computer". Follow the instructions. When "System Recovery Options" appear --> Select the option "Startup Repair".
Good Luck
Dec 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM
when i press that is says operating system not found
Dec 19, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-732220-i-got-given-an-acer-travel-mate-laptop-it-says-ntldr#2
Follow the instructions upto Step 8.
Now enter the below command
dir --> Press Enter.
Let me know if you are able to see the files\folders.
Also let me know the last action that you have performed which resulted in booting issue.
Good Luck
Dec 19, 2013 at 04:51 PM
i tried that..it says an error occurred during directory enuneration.
what i can remember was that i had a hacker in laptop, i lost all user accounts just came up with normal windows page then restarted it and it went to NTLDR is missing
Dec 20, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Hello,
Is your working PC having Windows 7 OS ? "NTLDR is missing" error message is seen mostly with Windows XP OS.
Good Luck
the pc that is workin is vista..i think laptop can go into bin..nothing seems to work