Unblock Hotmail account after 30 days [Solved/Closed]

KarenGagne 2 Posts Monday February 17, 2014Registration date February 17, 2014 Last seen - Feb 17, 2014 at 07:45 AM - Latest reply:  finally
- Aug 16, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Hello,

I'm like a lot of you where I was hacked and I went through the process of submitting email addresses, topics of recent sent messages, folder names, etc. I was sent an email saying that my account was recovered and I also received a link to reset my password. I wanted to do the two-step verification (thinking it would protect me more) and it said it would take 30 days before I would be able to access my account.

It's been 32 days and I'm still not able to access my account.

Like others, I have everything on there. I have application forms for my son who is disabled, all the addresses for people that I've been dealing with for him...everything.....

What are other options for me at this point!?!?!?!?!?

I've also created a gmail account but I have nothing.

Thanks for your help!

See more 

15 replies

Ambucias 52534 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus June 19, 2018 Last seen - Feb 17, 2014 at 08:31 AM
Thank you
Dear Karen,

I'm afraid that you have sent the info to hackers. Hotmail would never reply that it would take 30 days, 48 hours is their maximum delay as almost everything is automated.

Hotmail has now been replaced by Outlook so the Hotmail is now Outlook and your Hotmail account should work in Outlook.

See if this page will help you recover your account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/outlook/hacked-account

Also, I suspect that your computer is not safe against intrusions.

Ambucias
Virus/Security Contributor
werty12 1 Posts Monday August 11, 2014Registration date August 11, 2014 Last seen - Aug 11, 2014 at 03:49 AM
Sorry, but you are mistaken: Microsoft does, indeed, use a 30 day waiting period for letting a user
"replace security info", which in plain english means "changing your name, address, id, phone or alternative e-mail. I told Microsoft that they have gone bonkers.
Thank you
Hi Ambucias,

Would I use the password I had before my account was hacked?
Ambucias 52534 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus June 19, 2018 Last seen - Feb 17, 2014 at 09:09 AM
Hi Karen,

You mean after you recover your account? I would not. Try at least 8 characters with letters and numbers.

To access your Hotmail account through Outlook, nothing has changed.

Also, I suggest that you use this tool to verify if you have security leaks on your machine:

http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm
Thank you
when I click on the link you sent me, it brings me right back to what I did with hotmail originally (verification code, that long form asking for recent email addresses, topics, folders, etc.).

at this point, I feel as though I shouldn't have asked for the two-step verification as it seems like that is what has stopped me from having access to it for the past month!!!!!!
Karen,

I'm having this same problem. I used a new laptop to access my hotmail when I was out of the country and it said that I would need to enter the code they had sent to my cell phone as security verification.

Unfortunately, I no longer have that cell # so I wasn't able to receive the code. I went through the "list the subject of your most recent emails, folders you have created etc." questionnaire and received a reply to my alternate email address, guiding me to reset my password.

However, when I did that, it still said that it had sent a security code to my cell, and that I would need to wait until 21/5 to have access. I don't know what to do! I have vital stuff that I need daily in my account.
Ambucias 52534 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus June 19, 2018 Last seen - Feb 17, 2014 at 04:40 PM
Thank you
Looks like Hotmail has recognized you as the account owner and sent you a a link and code to reset your password. All it was necessary to do was to reset your password. Once your password is reset, you should be off and running.
tigerlillies14 9 Posts Saturday March 1, 2014Registration date March 10, 2014 Last seen - Mar 4, 2014 at 06:47 PM
Thank you
Hello, I have the same problem as KarenGagne. I went for the two-step verification and felt that this was a mistake as I could not get access without the security code which I never had before and never received from Microsoft when it said they will send it.
If it has been hacked, how do I resolve this problem.
Not sure whether KarenGagne has got her outlook (Hotmail) account returned to her or not.
If so, then please let me know how?
Thank you
Hi, I was able to get back into my hotmail. It was more my memory that failed me!

When I received the email from hotmail confirming the information (recent email, addresses, folders, etc) I provided to them was correct, I received an email to change my password. That new password was the one I used to get back into my account. When you went through the two step verification, it would've asked you to create a password. You need to use that new password to access it! Once you enter the password, it'll ask you whether you're going through the process of the two step and there will be a few questions and once you've answered them, you should be able to access your account.

Good luck!
Ambucias 52534 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus June 19, 2018 Last seen - Mar 6, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Thank you Karen you are sweet!
tigerlillies14 9 Posts Saturday March 1, 2014Registration date March 10, 2014 Last seen - Mar 6, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Hi Karen

I have done what you say since Saturday, completed the form asking for recent email, folders, subject lines etc. They send me an email for resetting the password, which I do then it wants me to provide security code, which I never had and has not received in my alternative email, so cannot enter this.
I ask for a security code, which is sent to my alternative address. When I enter this, it says that my another alternative email has asked for a new security code which will be send on 30/3/14.
I am going around in vicious circle everyday.
Maybe I shall try this again tomorrow evening, when my husband is at home as it was his email address as an alternative email.
I created a new gmail email which I had given to Hotmail to send me the new security code originally on Friday (28th February. at that time it stated that it will take 30 days to 30/3/14.
I keep getting this message continually, even after reset of a new password.
I never asked to go for two step verification.
As gmail is a new email, it may send me a new security number on 30/3/14.
I can't access my account now, so not sure what I should do but wait fro that day.
However, I shall try everyday to reset the password and security code received in the alternative email.
I waited the 30 days like you (driving myself, husband and others crazy) and went through exactly what you're dealing with and was going crazy and had some really tough evenings! I cried a lot as that address meant a lot to me and had a lot of stuff in there for my young son who is disabled and everything I do for him!

What I ended up doing was going to hotmail, putting in my email address like normal, putting in the new password I created and I was able to access it. After inputting my new password, it brought me to a screen to answer to a security question: I answered 'yes, it is me' and I proceeded to the actual account itself.
hi CJO,

Did you try creating a new email address so you could have the security code sent there since the cell # you previously is no longer in possession? I did the same steps as you are describing and only after I got to day 40 (after creating a new password and waiting patiently) did I try to use the 'new password' I had created and I was able to assess my account again. Once the password was accepted, it asked if I had asked for a password reset.

Today, I just received an email from hotmail informing me that my account has officially been secured and returned back to normal and that I could go back in to replace my security info! It's been almost 4 months since my account was hacked into!!!!

Hope it works!
Thank you
I did get an email within 48 hrs congratulating me (see email below). When I clicked on the link in the separate email, I was brought to reset my password. I used the two-step verification (thinking it would protect me more...) and when I went through the steps, it said it would be 30 days before I could access my account.

Today is the 32nd day so not sure what else to do!!!!

Congratulations!
We have confirmed that you are the owner of ADDRESS. An additional email with a link to reset your password has been sent to this email address.

Thank you for your patience while we verified the information you submitted. Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously, and we are committed to protecting your personal information.

Don't get locked out again
Once you access your account, we highly recommend you update your password reset information with a phone number or alternate email address. This will make it easier for you to gain access to your account in the future if you are locked out again.
you have to actually go to outlook.com. You cant get to your email by going to hotmail.com, you have to type in www.outlook.com