Blank browser windows; limited internet access

Closed
scutfargus Posts 1 Registration date Friday July 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2014 - Jul 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Hello,

I am posting a problem and a solution. Suddenly, I had limited internet access. Only my windows update would work. All my browser windows were blank, skype did not work, my POP email did not work, I could not update AVG, etc.

I ran AVG, malwarebytes, and windows defender (the latter took about 6 hours to do the entire harddrive). Threats were removed/isolated, but still no internet.

Then I went to the command prompt (run as an administrator).

In windows 7, this is done by clicking on start, typing "command prompt" into the box, right clicking "command prompt" at the top, and choosing "run as an administrator."

Then I typed: netsh winsock reset

and hit return.

I rebooted and everything was back to normal. My theory is, the problems were removed by the scans done first, but the "winsock" file had been corrupted and had to be replaced.

In the studies which I did, one suggestion was resetting the host file and the program "host expert" was suggested. I think there is a similar program called "replace host." I did not try that approach.

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jul 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM
The host file is located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

it can be opened with notepad.

typically, the only thing in there should be 127.0.0.1 localhost.

the text above it will have "#" in front of it to exclude it.

if you have anything else in there, then you're infected.

normally it's http redirecting.

if you delete this file it will recreate.