Connection lost with good signal levels??

Closed
Rupert9 - Mar 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM
 Cratevoodoo - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:03 AM
Hello,
Why does my connection drop when signal levels are good?
Service - Roar Runner Turbo. Motorola Modem and Belkin router. It is not the router because I have tried wired and the connection still drops. Called Time Warner Cable techs like 6 times, changed splitters, and still same problem.
48 minutes ago - 1 week left to answer.
Additional Details
When they came, they found splitters that were not suppose to be there. After replacing them, the problem persisted. And I doubt that its hardware failure because I tried it on my desktop,laptop,PS3,Xbox and they all got disconnected.
38 minutes ago

If all symptoms are hardware failure, So replacing my modem and router should help? And what if it doesnt?
0 seconds ago
Related:

2 responses

For a docsis modem to stay connected you need to have both upstream and downstream connectivity. How do you know you have good signal strength? Were you told that by your tech or are you going by the lights on your motorola? I don't know all the specifics yet but I'll hazard a guess...
While good downstream signal is a must, you also need to have a strong upstream signal- sent from your modem. You may be having an intermittant problem if your techs cannot simulate the failure to connect while they are on site- so be patient, its hard as hell to troubleshoot a problem you cannot see.
Some of the possible causes of the upstream problems range from the obvious (bent, kinked, or otherwise damaged cable, loose fittings, bad solder on an input port) to the more obscure (copper braided rg-6 or rg-59 cable, a bad HSI only trap, or too much noise ingress on the same line as modem- ideally a modem should be home-run'ed to the cable box and be isolated with mitigation filters. You could also have TOO much mitigation (attenuation is the term your tech will know) and your modem does not have enough power to get over the attenuation in your lines.)
While the obvious causes are, well, obvious, the obscure ones will need a tech to diagnose. If you have cable service in your house someplace other than your modem line try taking your modem over and seeing if it connects. Also, if you have a friend with the same services you can borrow their working modem and put it on in your house - no one can tell its not in their house at the moment.
Modems are a lot more sensitive to up and down signal strength than your average cable tuner box and I have seen innumerable things cause a signal to go awry. The things I listed are just the first few things I would check. Ideally your techs have already checked these things but if so that does seem to point to your modem. Those nifty meters cable techs run around with should be able to diagnose any line problems so if you cannot borrow a modem from a friend than if you can get no resolution I would play the 'dumb customer' and demand a new modem. If anything it might get a couple more heads involved in the problem. 6 calls and no resolution- whew, you got some patience. My customers prolly would have cancelled by the 4th. Whatever turns out to be the case, email me back and let me know how things turn out. Good luck!
kingme Posts 10 Registration date Monday January 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 11, 2009 2
Mar 11, 2009 at 01:43 AM
hi,
it would better if you try connecting another computer to see if the problem still persists.
if it does, then the problem is in your connection itself.
or you may connect your computer in another connection.
and the problem persists, then the fault is in your computer, maybe your modem.