Toshiba Satellite A210, Reset to Factory (optical drive broken)

Closed
thefax Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014 - Aug 24, 2014 at 08:13 PM
thefax Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014 - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Hello,

I need to restore my laptop (Toshiba, Satellite A-210 - STO, PSAFGC - ST008C) to factory settings. If there ever were back-up cd's, they would not be of any help as the optical drive died long ago.

I followed the instructions I found for laptops from 2007 on (I don't remember how old this one is), however:
1. Power +0 gets me to "launch repair"
2. I chose keyboard (US)
3. Then it asks for the admin password. As far as I know I am the admin, but I don't have a password for admin... so, I chose my user account.
4. There are two options that seem promising: complete restore (but it looks for a back-up that's not there) and the Wizzard.
5. When I chose the Wizzard, it asks for the back-up CD's ... and my drive is broken. (And a don't know that I till have them, anyways)

Is there a way out of this? I didn't get a system CD at the time, that much is certain.

Thank you
TheFax
Related:

1 response

thefax Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2014
Aug 25, 2014 at 12:15 AM
I figured it out ... somewhat:
I used my upgrade to Windows 7 cd.
Created bootable usb stick with Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool
Changed Bios settings to boot from USB
Choose Custom installtion (instead of Upgrade).

hope it works