External hard drive not showing up

Closed
mikee - Sep 12, 2014 at 05:16 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Hi guys!

I had an HP laptop with 2 500gb internal hard drives. More than 1.5 yrs ago, the laptop gave out and I had the 2 hard drives removed and each placed inside a Samsung external case so I can use them as usb external drives. They were working for at least a year until more than a month ago both of them were not showing up on my current laptop which hasn't happened before. The green lights on each of the external case were appearing so I thought power isn't the question. But the laptop can not detect them at all. Nor any pc system for that matter. Not even a MacBook. can anybody tell me what's going on? thanks a bunch
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Hi, Mike

Can you hear the drives spinning when you connect them? Could you check to see if the drives are visible in Device Manager, Disk Management and BIOS? Do you have the latest drivers installed? Check the drives with another USB cable. A solution may be to remove them from the enclosure and try them with SATA cable. If you manage to see them, check them with the manufacturer's software for errors.

Hope this helps