Toshiba laptop starts up but stays at "Starting Windows"

Closed
countrymeg Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2014 - Oct 2, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 2, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Hi there, so I have a Toshiba Inspiron laptop and its a 'problem child' sort of computer. I have had to baby it much in the past. It used to work great but a week after we bought it (used but in wonderful condition) it gave us the infamous black screen of death. My dad fixed it, but we have had to do everything but sing it to sleep at night. And now, just yesterday, after about a year of it kinda working, it fizzed out on me. At first it gave my the option of starting in safe mode or continuing normally, but then it would take me to the "Start Windows" with the little logo, and would stay like that for fifteen minutes or more. Then it went black completely. I tried the whole take the battery out, plug in the battery thing, but now instead of black I get the starting windows deal. And its not moving. Any help would be amazing, I need this laptop for school which starts next week!!!!
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 2, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Hello,

You have described many of Toshiba owners predicament.

If you search through this forum, Toshiba issues abound.

Reading carefully what you wrote, the only solution I can think of is to reset to out of the box factory settings. Unfortunately, you will lose all of your data, settings and the software you added. But it may be better than a dead Toshiba.

Here is how to factory reset:

https://ccm.net/faq/4811-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings

Good luck and my best regards to your dad.