Wd my passport 1TB not detected

Closed
nahtanoj84 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday October 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2015 - Oct 25, 2014 at 03:21 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - May 25, 2015 at 03:02 AM
my friend accidentally dropped my hard drive, after that when I connect it to my laptop it cannot detect anymore even to other's laptop still can't. I read many times this issues and tried to fix it but still I cant solve it. but our smartTV can see everything on my hard drive, and if I connect it to my laptop again, still not detected.

in the disk management, I cannot right click the 'change letter and path', and only delete volume are available to click!

i have many important files on my hard drive, and I dont want to lose it..

please help! and I hope you guys can solve my problem..

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 27, 2014 at 09:30 AM
Hi there,

That is quite unfortunate, but you should know that any physical hit may damage the drive. It really is a good sign that the drive is accessible from your TV. Please check the file format of the drive. Is it RAW? Try to assign a drive letter through the command prompt. Type diskpart, list disk, select disk n ( where n is the number of the external), assign letter =L (where L is any desired letter which is not currently in use).
You can even try and check the drive with the chkdsk /r command from the CMD. If there is no progress try accessing the drive, using a Linux Live CD, which may provide enough access to backup your data.

https://ccm.net/faq/34271-windows-the-diskpart-command - more about the diskpart command

Hope this helps
nahtanoj84 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday October 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2015
May 23, 2015 at 12:10 AM
i tried the diskpart, and this is the result.. please help..

i cannot change the assign letter coz there are no volumes..

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 25, 2015 at 03:02 AM
Hi again nahtanoj84,

Have you tried browsing the hard drive with a Linux Live CD. It is likely to help, since your drive is visible when connected to a TV. Once you backup your files, format the drive and check if it is visible. Use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to confirm the drive's condition.

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=k6ZluH - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Hope this helps