- - Latest reply: R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
- Nov 17, 2015 at 03:49 AM
Hello,

My 1 TB WD external drive was working fine, and I plugged it in today and no files are showing up. Disk utility shows that there is still the 200 GB being used, but is unable to unmount it. Any help would be great!

See more 

3 replies

Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Thank you
Hi Sushit,

For some reason, those files may have become hidden. I recommend you to open the Finder application.
Click Applications under the Places heading, select Utilities -> Terminal. Type the following command:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES. Check if the files are visible now. I would recommend you to check the step by step guide below. If you have the option, check the drive on another Mac.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/opening-hidden-folders-external-hard-drive-mac-71249.html

Hope this helps

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and nothing showed up, I have also checked it on two other macs.
R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
115 > sushit -
Could you tell me what file format are you using? Have you ever used some software which helps using NTFS formats on a Mac? This is more or less a common issue, but it should be resolved with the command I suggested or repairing the drive. I would recommend you to get some more suggestions from the WD phone support. I leave you a link below.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=3Tr6dN
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Thank you
Hi Sushit,

For some reason, those files may have become hidden. I recommend you to open the Finder application.
Click Applications under the Places heading, select Utilities -> Terminal. Type the following command:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES. Check if the files are visible now. I would recommend you to check the step by step guide below. If you have the option, check the drive on another Mac.

Hope this helps

Registration date
Wednesday January 21, 2015
Status
Last seen
March 28, 2017
Thank you
Does the drive appear in Disk Utility?
Plug in the drive, then run Disk Utility by clicking on spotlight and typing "Disk U". It will appear in the list on the left.

If it does, select it (on the left) and click Repair (on the right).

The message you saw (eject before disconnecting) is definitely what you get when you forget to eject first.
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, but won't unmount to repair. I was able to verify the disk and everything appeared OK. I am un able to verify the disk permission though.